1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chicagoland & Northwest Indiana Snow & Ice thread

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Plow Meister, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Seeing as how well a similar thread worked for other parts of the country, I thought I'd start one for Chicago.

It's 7:45 am on December 14th. It just started snowing and we're expecting 3" to 5" of white gold. Gonna head out in a few minutes to get some salt and pre-salt a few lots and loading docks.

2. durchins

durchins Member

Zip, Zero, Nada, Bubkus here right now.

3. Plow Meister

Yea, I kinda spoke too soon. It stopped already but I'm sure more is to come. I won't mount the plow until I start seeing accumulation.

4. phishoook

phishoook Member

ya 2-3 by evening and then rain/mist until Friday.

5. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

We have about 1.5 inches here in northwest illinois, but I just checked the weather and the storm's center is just northwest of us and it's turning around and comin' back. We are in for it about 2pm or so, I would say.payup payup

6. nekos

nekos Senior Member

weather channel is now saying Chicago may see another half inch and the NW burb's up to 1 inch. got to love Chicago weather :(

7. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

Made the mistake by mounting up before work (Fire Dept) and currently dry as can be. Talking about possibly 1-2 inches of wet snow tonight. Cross your fingers!

8. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Wrong thread.

9. Plow Meister

It's all your fault, John!!!!

You know better than to mount up your plow before the snow hits! That's it... You just lost your official snow plowers card:realmad:

10. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Icy by me, going out to saltpayup

11. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

Chris, LOL. What was I thinking, I should have known better. Rookie mistake. Thanks for the phone call earlier for salt, cell wont work in the thick walls here. Currently no takers for salt but will definatley keep you in mind. Ive been doing the snow dance all night with no luck! Guess Ill just have to sit on the quint tonight making chump change! Happy salting!

John

Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
  12. Journier

Journier Junior Member

Got some sleet today 1/2 inch? in frankfort Illinois. 35 miles from chicago

it was sleeting / sprinkling for 2 hours. got pretty heavy then stopped all of a sudden! I kept hearing about 2-6 inches :/

sorta foggy out because of all the rain and such.

Other than the really wet drifts across drives no plowing today :)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
  13. FSUPERDUTY

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

Snow started at about 3:30 or 4:00am so they tell me, went out about 6:00 plowed about 8hours. Going out to clean up about 9:00 tonight! got about 3 inches total

14. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

I never even put the blade on.1/2 inch at best so I spent the day salting.Only used three out of 50 trucks #$%^&*%$#@! weatherguessers!

15. MGardner

MGardner Senior Member

What a messy storm.By the time mid day got under way it had become rolling boulders of mushy wet snow that sticks to the plow and required 4 wheel drive to push it on flat lots. I service two Checkers drive through. NEVER AGAIN will I take those friggin twisty turn ,inches from the mirrors.... Anything for a buck right ?

16. Dent82

Dent82 Member

Hey everyone- Central Illinois saw nothing but rain today. First year in the business. Picked up an account today and after he accepted it, he asked if i would throw some salt on the sidewalks when I came out. Kinda pissed me off but I'll take all I can get right now. I always thought it was bad to throw salt on concrete?

17. Plow Meister

Just got back from checking my accounts. Gonna have to go out later and salt. Basically, we got totally screwed! So much for that 3-5" we were supposed to get:rolleyes:

18. ExplorerPlow

ExplorerPlow Junior Member

Yeah same here in Schaumburg/Elk Grove Village, nothing really accumulated. Kinda disapointed especially huring to get one of our trucks up late last night. Went out and did clean up on one account cause he called and asked for it But hey, like they say if you dont like the weather in Chicago, Wait 5 Minutes. :gunsfiring:

19. AlwaysGreener

AlwaysGreener Senior Member

My parents live in Schaumburg..they said they got nothing.. Belvidere and Rockford got hit so I was happy...Had to go to Sun City Del Web and did all of those driveways, so it was a great day..

20. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I started pushing around 5:30am yesturday, we got about 2" of wet and heavy snow. It gradually warmed up all day until about 7 or 8pm, then it started refreezing. Saw three accidents this morning in two blocks.

I started to complain about not having a decent nights sleep in almost a week now, then I remembered how 'great' last year was.....

Last edited: Dec 15, 2005