1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chicagoland commercial plowing???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mikeplowman, Jul 20, 2011.

1. mikeplowman

mikeplowman Senior Member

i live in the north chicagoland area. i have been plowing res. drives for years and wanted to start doing commercial lots. was wondering how to go about pricing lots. i have been doing some studying and found a few different ways to price:

xxx per hour per truck / xxx per hour per shoveling / xxx per lb of salt--im seeing rates of 90-125 pr hr for trucks / 30-50 pr hr for shoveling / 2.25-3.25 pr lb of salt plus the spreading of it
    are those close numbers or they off??

xxx square footage of lot x $25 / xxx square footage of sidewalk x $7
    are those close numbers or they off??

xxx for 1"-4" and then every addition inch is xxx / shoveling is the same formula

help....thanks for the input fellas much appreciated
  2. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn Member
    from 53223

2.25 per lb of salt, if you have a lot that takes 1000lb. of salt your gonna charge 2250.00 per salt application, roughly 20 times in your/our area, me being in WI. your looking more like .25 per lb. and thats a little high...people on here will tell you different but its all in what you pay per bag or per ton...take the square footage of a lot x .0025, that will get your close to that 100-110/hr. and figure everything from there.
  3. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Wow I'm moving to your area. Over $2 a pound we get .07 to .10 a pound
  4. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

Aside from the salt prices, what kind of equipment are you running, what are your costs per hour in your market, can your fleet handle the extra work in a timely manner, do you have any salt suppliers lined up, bagged or bulk, open properties or obstacles, what trigger depth do they want you to plow at, and the list goes on and on, we would need to know a lot more info to be able to tell you if you are in the ballpark. Basically know what your costs of doing business are and go from there, everyone has a different answer.
  5. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

commercial customers are not as forgiving as residentials... do you have the equipment necessary to make sure they are open?

i charge per time, or seasonal ( flat rate no snow cap)
    per time: 2-4" 4-6" 6-8" ( for plowing and shoveling) + per TON salting - minimum 1/2 ton.

goodluck... btw whereabouts in northern il are you?
  6. mikeplowman

Thanks guys
    My equipment is: pick up truck with 8' plow, skid steer with pusher blade, shovels, snow blower, salt spreader. So I don't have to much equipment, but enough to do some light commercial properties. My question is if it is better for ME to price per square footage or hourly. I think I'm leaning toward square footage unless client prefers different. And WOW 2.50 pr lb for salt is way off,thanks. The lots that I know the owners to, have some islands and obstacles in them as well as a 1" trigger.

NorthernSVc's....buffalo grove/wheeling area
  7. mikeplowman

how does $0.02 a sq ft sound for lots. thats pretty much the square footage divided by 50. and salt prob. around $0.30 lb/spread??? does that seem fair or am i getting robbed or am i ripping customers off? :nod:
  8. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

You're looking for magic numbers, and there's no such thing as magic numbers in the snow business. Every lot is different, and pricing per sq ft is a recipe for disaster, two lots the same size could be vastly different in the amount of time required to plow depending on obstacles, cars, etc. Salt can also very between lots based on sun exposure, traffic, etc. Sidewalks are going to depend on efficiency, the type of equipment used, etc. A guy running a crew of shovelers versus a guy running ATV's, bobcats, etc, are going to have different pricing structures. Lastly, YOUR pricing is going to depend on YOUR overhead, and how much money YOU need/want to make. No one here can tell you what that number is.
  9. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

mikeplowman, welcome to plowsite. Do some searches on here for pricing, there are many formulas to figure out the pricing for you. To be basic about it, figure out how much you want to make per hour for yourself, add in your fixed overhead (truck rental, maintenance), then your variable costs(fuel, salt, sand), divide it by the medium you figure you will use to charge by (sq ft, time per hour, per event etc) and that should give you a amount.