1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chicagoland boys, help me out

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Dissociative, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

i have a 2004 f250 with a brand new 8' pro-plus and was wondering your thoughts on what i am doing. i have no salt box, and have plowed for 4 years by the hour. i am currently getting 65 an hour and have to buy my own gas and keep my rig going. He is 1099ing me at the end of the year of course.

am i getting screwed?, they don't push me super hard for speed but i am expected to keep up. i get average of 8-15 hours if 2-4" and 15-30 if 6" or more.

also, what kind of insurance should i be running? been winging it last years with older truck but i am too nervous in my new set-up to do that this year. 30k invested in my set-up. I keep getting told to go on my own..

thanks guys.....let it snow before x-mas ....purplebou
  2. My cell is 708 670 8504 call me in the morn tomm and we can talk about it, i have a guy that needs another 20 trucks or so
  3. Dissociative

hhmmmmm....... is that good or bad news?..lol.. the guy i work for is a friend of my bro-in-law..so i am getting the "friend" rate to i was told......

ohh..and if it matters he wants me to be in charge of lots that are a good 20 miles away from my house..in a snow storm it's gonna be a damn impossible drive so i would have to be there waiting unpaid..

ohh...and i have no problem buying wings if i was taken care of...guess it get me to like 9'6" or something...and had seriously thought about a tail spread
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  4. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

From what i have seen he is a little low. Most of the Chi town guys are paying $75 for push only. I know a couple of guys paying $85 to supervisor types.
    As far as insurance do you have a contractors policy or a homeowners? Does you insurance carrier know you are doing commercial snow? Do you have General Liability policy on top of that?
  5. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

This looks good to me, not bad hours, decent pay. You may be able to do better someplace but your in no way "getting screwed'
  6. Dissociative

i have a crappy no name insurance on the truck just to be legal to drive til i figure out what i need.

what should i have? for general pushing
  7. Dissociative

ok, well anybody else got advice?.. just wondering....this guy is trying to tell me to commute like 50 min to the "old folks home" he has for me...treat it with kid gloves ect.ect. but it's a LONG drive...can i ask for pay to drive there? in a snow storm it's gonna be hell to get there.
  8. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I would definatly ask for compensation for that drive. You are taking your time to get to his job. Defiantly should be paid.
  9. droptine

droptine Member

Yes you should be paid while traveling, at the same rate. Don't go for the "I'll pay your gas" crap. If you were plowing instead of traveling you'd be making $$ per hour. Thats what he should pay. You should try to find work close to home and not have to travel.
  10. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

I get paid from when the plowdrops on the first site and the truck leaves the last. It doesn't matter if the first is in Naperville and the last is in Rockford. I make about what you make as well.
  11. Dissociative

thanks guys..... i am gonna drop him a little hint that my hourly is a tad low...and that if i am not plowing close i want travel at least 1 way...