1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chicago storm

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawncare18, Nov 30, 2006.

1. lawncare18

lawncare18 Senior Member

Guys... I hear on my new in syracuse ny that the airport in chicago has already canceled upwards of 100 flights tomm.. how bad is it gona be out there?? all you guys ready to roll?
    Anyone know how bad new york is going to get it.. my company i work for called to make sure I am ready to roll!!!!

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Well where I live (NWPA) the forecast has changed almost every news cast. All of this big hype locally and we are to expect a whole whopp'in 1"-3" out of this system. Then they say there is another system for the beginning of the week.

3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Chicago is gonna get nailed I guess.....according to NOAA, we now are suppose to get 6-12 inches. Here is the warning for Chicago from the National Weather Service:

Winter Storm Warning
    URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL
    244 PM CST THU NOV 30 2006

.A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM CURRENTLY OVER SOUTHERN ARKANSAS WILL MOVE
    NORTHEAST INTO EASTERN ILLINOIS AND NORTHWEST INDIANA TONIGHT...AND
    LIFT NORTHEAST ACROSS THE GREAT LAKES FRIDAY AFTERNOON. A BAND OF
    VERY HEAVY SNOWFALL IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP ON THE NORTHWEST SIDE
    OF THIS SYSTEM...EXTENDING FROM NORTHERN OKLAHOMA THROUGH CENTRAL
    MISSOURI...INTO NORTHERN ILLINOIS TONIGHT INTO FRIDAY MORNING.

ILZ003>006-008-010>014-019>023-032-033-039-010445-
    /O.CON.KLOT.WS.W.0002.061201T0600Z-061201T1800Z/
    WINNEBAGO-BOONE-MCHENRY-LAKE ILLINOIS-OGLE-LEE-DE KALB-KANE-
    DUPAGE-COOK-LA SALLE-KENDALL-GRUNDY-WILL-KANKAKEE-LIVINGSTON-
    IROQUOIS-FORD-
    INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ROCKFORD...WOODSTOCK...WAUKEGAN...
    OREGON...DIXON...DEKALB...AURORA...CHICAGO...OTTAWA...OSWEGO...
    MORRIS...JOLIET...KANKAKEE...PONTIAC...WATSEKA...PAXTON
    244 PM CST THU NOV 30 2006

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT
    TO 12 PM CST FRIDAY...

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO
    12 PM CST FRIDAY.

SNOW IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP AROUND MIDNIGHT TONIGHT AND CONTINUE
    INTO FRIDAY MORNING AND LAST UNTIL ABOUT NOON ON FRIDAY. THE SNOW
    MAY BE HEAVY AT TIMES WITH SNOWFALL RATES OF 1 TO 2 INCHES PER
    HOUR AT THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM. WITH THESE HIGH RATES OF
    SNOWFALL...SOME THUNDERSNOW IS POSSIBLE AS WELL. THE HIGHEST
    SNOWFALL AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTED TO STRETCH FROM SOUTHEASTERN
    WISCONSIN SOUTHWESTWARD THROUGH MCHENRY...DEKALB AND LASALLE
    COUNTIES WHERE 10 OR MORE INCHES OF SNOW IS EXPECTED. WINDS WILL
    ALSO INCREASE OVERNIGHT WHICH WILL CAUSE SOME CONSIDERABLE BLOWING
    SNOW AND REDUCE VISIBILITIES.

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW...
    SLEET...AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS ARE ALSO
    POSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

POPO stop teasing all of us unlucky ones who just have to watch and can't play.:jester:

5. Grader4me

Grader4me Member

Never in my life have I ever heard of "thunder snow":confused:

6. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

In all my years of plowing, I have seen it maybe four times. I tell you it freaked me out the first time, still rememeber where and when it happend. Was late at night and the sky just lighted up so bright because of the heavy white snow falling. Pretty cool to experience, but never seen so much snow come down so fast.

7. mark m

mark m Junior Member

8-12 here in northern, mi
    thunder snow fall,s at a rate of 2-6 inches per hour:redbounce :redbounce :redbounce

8. durchins

durchins Member

Never before have I heard of thundersnow, until today. That word was everywhere. Skillethead, the weather channel, accuweather all used "Thundersnow" Forecasters expect at least three inches per hour. Should make for an interesting night and morning.

9. bbrsq

bbrsq Member

Well guys just heard the latest forecast. I am just north of Chigaco almost on the Illinois border on the Wisconsin side.

They are saying starting after midnight. We could see 1-3 by 7am and the 5-9 by noon or 1pm. The farther north you go into wisconsin the less they are going to get. They are still somewhat unsure of the exact path. We are going to get at least 3"+.

10. zman9119

zman9119 Member

They are now saying anywhere between 8" and 16" here. Who knows until it hits.

O'Hare has cancelled over 750 flights for Friday.

11. ferdinand711

ferdinand711 Senior Member

I just bought a $4,100.00 plow and a $600.00 snow blower, I only got 10 res. accounts so far for $35 every 2"-5" of snow. atleast this storm will make me feel like it's money well invested.

12. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

Latest forecast for Northern Illinois Southern WI. 6-12" headed noreast towards chicago milwaukee. All N. IL snow should be done by 1pm friday. I'm off to bed. Boss has "allowed" me to drive the 81 chevy 3/4 ton w/ 8' western on it and Stahl utility body. Should be fun. He bought it today. Untested by us. Speedo doesn't work, Manual choke is broken, almost no dash lights. Wonder why I have to give up my 05 F350 w/ Daniel's pull plow, Snoway v-plow and all the wonderful comforts.

Good luck and be safe guys!

13. Grader4me

Grader4me Member

I am probably going to feel stupid for asking this but....do you actually hear thunder? Or are they just referrring to what you describe. Bear with me, as I said this is a first for me!

14. River Hill

River Hill Senior Member

I have actually heard thunder and seen lots of lightning many times. Last year we had a storm with thunder snow and it dropped about 12" in 3 hours.

15. Grader4me

Grader4me Member

Wow! We have a few severe snow storms during the winter that dumps a lot of snow fast, but never have I heard thunder along with it.
    I have heard/seen thunder/lightning in the winter, when it has warmed up quickly with heavy rain.
    Learn something new every day...Thanks!

16. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Just thought I would let everyone know that it has hit my area. We are getting snowfall rates of 2 inches per hour here. And i'm not even in the worst of it!:D

17. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

here about 30 minutes south of grand rapids we are getting alot of freezing rain, rain and some snow mixed. all schools are now shut down. i just hope we dont loose our power.

18. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Thunder Snow storms, THE BIGGEST!

Thunder Snow storms are the Biggest! The great Blizzard of 1978 started as a Thunder Snow Storm, it devastated the entire NorthEast, three days of paralizing snow, huge state of emergencies, driving bans,etc.

I cut my teeth plowing snow during that storm, 1971 Jeep Wagoneer with a Meyers ST-90, was my neighbors back-up plow. The day before this small storm was about to hit
    ( that's what the guessers were calling for a small 4-6" storm ) my neighbor was joking around and said to me and my twin brother "if you can dig it out of the mud in my back yard and get it running you can go make some money with it". The floors had holes the 1/4 panels had holes. tires were flat, dead battery, ran like a turd ( bad gas). We spend 10 hours the day that the storm started in the garage, welding up the floors and 1/4 panels, cleaning the tank and carb, took a new battery out of my Mustang and scrounged a set of good used snow tires from my BIL's tire shop, we also stole his repair plate for three days, lol. We got it out of the garage around 8pm ( two hours after the first clap of thunder) and we had over 12" on the ground already! My neighbor had been out plowing so he never knew that we revived the old girl until 2am the next morning when we passed him on a major road, he was limping home, busted front't axle on his F-250. We blew by him with the horn tooting and laughing having a grand old time! He was out of commission with his Ford and wanted the Jeep back, told him to pound snow, lol , Actually, his buddy tore down his axle while my Uncle chased a used axle down to get him back and going, He took a 6 hour nap to wake up and find his F-250 sitting in his driveway all fixed and ready to go back to work.

We had a lot of fun in that "Thunder Snow Storm" I did a lot of plowing and quite a bit of welding repairs, Dad kept coming out to the driveway and garage to help fabricate while I just kept welding away, my twin brother on the other hand just kept literally piling up the snow around the street , at one point got the jeep stuck up ontop of a 6' pile of snow, lol Oldest brother pulled him out with his F-350, which had no blade, just a bad a$$ truck with a big long tow strap!

So when you hear that first clap of thunder, be ready!, it could be the Blizzard of the Century!

19. oarwhat

oarwhat Senior Member

It happens too often for me here in Buffalo. When you hear the thunder you know the snow is coming down at 2" to 6" per hour and there is no way you will keep up with it. . Usually you only hear a few claps but during this years October storm it went on for hours!!!. Not fun at all.