1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chicago Salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by AnthonyC, Jan 26, 2008.

1. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Member

Just purchased a Western Tornado Salt Spreader.

Does anyone know where in Chicago I can get this filled with salt?

I know of a place in Skokie and another place in Bolingbrook, but majority of our accounts are in Chicago, and this would be a great convenience for us.

Thank you
  2. Bobby Blaze

Bobby Blaze Member

Theres a place on 39th & ashland on the north side of the street just next to the city water dept yard, theres also the citys salt yard there ( so you don't get confused ) I don't know what they charge but I see alot of guys going in there.
  3. snow patrol

snow patrol Senior Member

Not sure where in Chicago you're located, but this location is not to far from the O'hare. It's a place called D&P/JKS and they are located in Melrose Park, on Lake street just East of Mannheim Rd. Good luck you you.
  4. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Member

We're based out of Tri-Taylor area. By UIC. But we travel as far as Evergreen Park, and Elmhurst.

Thank you Bobby and snow patrol. I will be checking them out :)
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  5. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Member

Bulk Salt

Can't seem to find a place that sells loose salt for this box spreader. Ive tried the 39th and ashland. Everyone seems to be out. Can anyone suggest a place that would be stocked up and ready to sell?

thank you
  6. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

There is no bulk salt avaliable in the Chicago metro area untill about the 20th of the month. If you want you can drive to Clinton Iowa. Or Milwaukee Wisc. to get some.
  7. dmcenery

dmcenery Member

What about Lake St. Landscape Supply? Near Lake & Ashland to the west. There are some landscape co.s over that way as well Brickman on western ave. Perhaps they would sell to you.

8. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

nobody has any salt, everyone is running out:mad:
  9. PDQ Pete

PDQ Pete Senior Member

They say the barges can't make it up the rivers because of all the ice.
  10. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

does anyone else find this really funny,,a barge full of salt used to melt snow and ice is stuck in a river because of ice.....Throw a couple of guys at the front of the barge with some shovels and start working your way up here, come on...lol
  11. swchicagoplow

swchicagoplow Junior Member

I'm thinking of getting into the bulk salt gig next year. The past 7 years, I've been using bagged salt. It gets a little tiring opening 75-100 bags of salt everytime is snows.

Couple of questions: Where can I buy bulk salt next year around Lemont?? Is there a place I can have them load me up everytime it snows?? Do I need to buy at the beginning of the season and figure out a place to store?? Can I leave bult in the spreader covered or will it become solid?? I don't know what size spreader I would by yet but Im assuming a 8-10 footer on a pickup.

Just trying to get as much education as possible before I decide to make a switch.
  12. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Dont be like these 2 guys. :eek:

BUFFALO GROVE, Ill. -- Police in suburban Buffalo Grove are reporting a second theft of road salt, this time from a stockpile.
    An official of Arctic Snow, a snow removal company, reported the theft on Tuesday from the company's pile behind a supermarket.
    The official reported seeing a man in a silver pickup truck near the salt pile and then discovering that about $500 worth of salt was missing.
    A Fox Lake man was charged Saturday with stealing salt from another snow-removal firm, which has a contract with a different Buffalo Grove shopping district.