1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chicago Rates

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dsean94, Dec 11, 2002.

1. dsean94

dsean94 Junior Member

I started a lawncare/snowplow business this year. For those in the Chicagoland area what are the going rates? I do not want to lowball anyone.:confused:
  2. dsean94

dsean94 Junior Member

Snowplow rates

I was not specific on the question. What are the rates for residential and/or commercial.

3. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I'm in a different market. I will tell you what I do know. I'd bet if you owned a property that was one acre in your market and you got 10 different bids for plowing only, they would range from $50-$200+ per push. What does that tell you?

It tells ME that price is not a selling point for MY customers. If I tell you to charge $100 an hour based on per push pricing, you will likely talk to a few customers and decide that was WAY too high. Low pricing will get you lots of work, guaranteed. Just make sure you aren't doing "public service work" by the time your expenses are FULLY accounted for.

If 8/10 customers think your pricing is too high, do you just cave to their pressure; or do you talk to 100 customers and gain 20 accounts? The first 8 will lay down for you if you are willing to work for peanuts. The choice is yours. Good luck!

4. SCL

SCL Senior Member

I too am in a different market west of you. Rates out here are about $60 to $85 an hour. I have some lots on the high end and some at the low. I'm not the cheapest and don't want to be. But I'm busy enough. From what I've been told rates in the city are comparable to %15 higher. My minimum stays high ($35) cause I don't like small driveways. Just me.
  5. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Dsean94 - I would have to say that commercial work in this area ranges from $100- 150 an hour. I am at the higher end of the spectrum at $150.00. There is a lot of competition out there, but I feel there is more than enough work to go around.

As far a residential plowing goes, I average $34.50 per plow on a typical driveway. I average $310.00 for the season on a standard yearly snowplowing contract.