1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chicago prices

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by thundercat99, Jan 25, 2004.

1. thundercat99

thundercat99 Senior Member

there is alot of good info on this site on pricing but seems to me its all about were you are. chicago doesnt get much snow so there is more cometition for the work im trying to get an idea on what to bid on work for next season i have a few places that i know i will get if i can come up with a fair price..

there are 2 small gas stations clarks to be exact that im doing right know for 50.00 per push with a 2in trigger they take 30 mins a peice to do do . so its a hundred an hour with out drive time.

1 medium size gas station 12 pumps with a car wash, and small parking area for 75.00 but its on a plow when they need it basis sometime 2 somtimes 6 in of snow i think im getting screwed on that one

residentual averge for me is 25.00 per drive way none of them take more then 10 mins to do i think im low but not shure i work in all upper class neighborhoods

for nexct year i have 2 church parking lots bolth pretty big a restuarant and small shopping center maybe 60 parking spaces.

and a couple small buisness buildings doctors and laweyers and stuff.

i just want to figure out how to be fare to eveybody and make a decent buck. help is appreciated in advance

2. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

hey,where u at in chicago,I have 2 citgos i do $50 per push,and drives I'm charging $25.00 per push and $15.00 for salting them

3. thundercat99

chicago

south burbs im based out of palos heights

4. ptllandscapeIL

ok,cool im based out of addison.

5. ptllandscapeIL

thunder, Ive been doing talking to a few guys i know and $110 per hour per truck is the rate around here,and I dont knwo where you get your salt from ? baged or baulk? but im paying 3.35 a 50 pound bag and charging 8.00 bucks a bag down.

6. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I to buy salt by the bag and found the best price for #80 bag is @ Menards $4.89 :gunsfiring:

7. thundercat99

chicago

spent the morning on the north side subbing for a buddy

5 hours behind a tandem with a spreader my truck is white but what a good time does anybody have a spreader there not using im in the market wouldnt mind a project since the pockets arent to deep right now

8. ptllandscapeIL

well the weather channel is calling for 2-4 inches by early evening and then 3-5 but early after noon tomorrow i just got in from a quick salt run I'm gonna load the truck and need to pick up more salt

9. thundercat99

chicago

spent the morning on the north side subbing for a buddy

5 hours behind a tandem with a spreader my truck is white but what a good time does anybody have a spreader there not using im in the market wouldnt mind a project since the pockets arent to deep right now

10. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Man what a great price for putting down salt, FYI , Central Ohio price for 80# put down $29 You might want to check out your competion's price. At that price, you should have every salting job in the area. including the surrounding states. I'm not trying to be an a-hole, I just think you are cheating yourself at that lowball price. Unless somebody else is picking it up for you, and putting it down and not charging you for doing it. Maybe I didn't understand what you said.

11. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

Yea you guys are way cheep.... At those rates i would just stay home when it snows. Commercial Jobs should be set at a 1" trigger... especially gas stations... with lots of traffic

Last edited: Jan 28, 2004
  12. thundercat99

chicago

gas stations just like any other account are pushed when the owner wants them pushed so in your little perfect world they get pushed on the inch but in reality they usualy get pushed att the end of the storm or bare minium 3 inches. there is alot of competion on the south side to many big outfits artic
    snow pros and others like them there drivers will push a gas station on the way to another job and do it for 30.00 a station.
    Using there boss truck, gas , and ins it doesnt matter to them what they do it for because theere double dipping anyway.

13. ptllandscapeIL

yeah Arctic is a really big outfit same with serbert landscaping and grant and power,those prices are pretty much he going rate for residential around chi town,next year when i get more commercial then ill go $110 per hour per truck plus $200 per ton of salt spread FYI i get a ton of salt for $18 bucks

14. SCL

SCL Senior Member

Out to your west its even worse:mad: I've got one contractor bidding large lots at $53 / hour. We shoot for $75-80 and peolple look at me like I'm nuts. Salts going down at $15 a bag (50) or close to it. $8 a bag? how do you pay for the spreader?

15. thundercat99

???????????

I know its not that way everywere but it seems to be alot of competion o n the southside Due to lack of buisness this year i am subbing for a guy on the north side but he pays me 65.00 an hour and gives me plenty of work the last 2 days it snowed i was out 23 hours for him.

For 20005 ive got plenty of work not because im cheap but becauce of favors because people are willing to give me there buisness because of who i am not because im cheap so to all the big boys look out Im coming for you nexct year...

16. Clearpath

Clearpath Junior Member

Where do you get salt for $18 bucks/ton? I pay $60 here in the western subs.