1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chicago Business Area sidewalk cleaning bid question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by billybaroo, Jun 15, 2004.

1. billybaroo

billybaroo Junior Member

I am brand new to this site and I have a question concerning bidding on snow removal...but not plowing. I am going to be submitting a bid to remove the snow from the sidewalks in a designated area in the city of Chicago. It is a considerable size area and I am trying to see if there are some bidding figures out there that some of you professionals use.

Almost all the discussion seems to revolve around plowing of lots and residential snow removal (driveways and basic sidewalks). But I am going to have to estimate how long it will take to remove the snow on the sidewalks in the city. Is there a going hourly rate that you guys use?

Does anyone have any experience in this area. The area that I will be covering will be approximately 4 miles of sidewalks (or double that since I will be doing both sides of the street.) Is there bidding estimate that is out there that could help me?
    Also how do you figure the cost of salt into this whole thing? Do you just charge them a monthly cost...depending on how many tons of salt you go through? And how much salt would you think I would go through?

Last, what type of equipment do you suggest? I work with a very large landscape organization here in the city of chicago, and I would have access to some riding mowers....are their items that you could attach to certain mowers that would double their use with snow removal.

I know that this is a lot of questions...but I would greatly appreciate any help....and soon! Our bid is due this Thursday!

2. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

charge $65 per hour, Simplicity two-stage snow throwers
  3. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

$65 an hour?? Are you kiddin me?? Double that and then you'll make a little money..