1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chicago area general liability

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by RAW Details, Oct 27, 2009.

1. RAW Details

RAW Details Senior Member

Who do u guys like and dislike in the area. i'm just starting out and trying to figure out who to avoid when it comes to this coverage. thanks in advance!!!!

2. snowbizplowing

snowbizplowing Member

well it really depends on whether or not you do landscaping there really isn't just plow insurance its weird talk to an agent or broker and he can explain better. i use a buddy of mine who is a broker to get me the best deal. i have commercial vehicle, 2 mil worth of general liabltiy(required by some of my customers) and it costs liek $244 a month with workmans comp its like $450?. my carrier is pekin thru my brocker allied, i use him for everythign from my harley to my homeowners i have used everythingn from progressive to travelers but like the brocker becuase he does all the leg work. I can give ya his number if you want let me know i'll PM you
    I also live in Chicago and this is only my first year going legit every other year i ran around in an old blazer with normal vehicle insurance and did driveways now i do more commercial and larger accounts and need the added coverage. Also i've had my fair share of accidents so i'm probably a little high risk i'm sure that there are MANY out there that gets a better deal then i.
    scott

3. nekos

nekos Senior Member

My insurance agent said the reason they require landscaping or some other year round job where commercial insurance is needed is because they don't want people to cancel as soon as the snow stops. How true this is i don't know but it does make sense.

Anyway try American Family. Their GL policy is very cheap. I pay $325 a year for $1 million GL.

4. snow patrol

snow patrol Senior Member

Interesting. I am experiencing this very problem as we speak. My company was full service landscaping and snow control in the winter. Over the years we grew the snow side to the point we decided to do away with the landscaping and concentrate only on snow plowing. I explained this to our insurance agent and it has been a night mare ever since. He tells me that it also does not help that we hire as many subs as we do. In any event, if there is anyone else who can recommend an insurance company that deals with companies that are strictly snow and ice control, please post. It will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

5. snow patrol

snow patrol Senior Member

SnowBiz,

If you don't mind, I could use the name of your agent too.

Thanks!

6. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

Check out Jennifer Gohlson American Family Insurance agency in Dyer Indiana she has great rates i have all of my insurance threw her 219-865-9090

7. RAW Details

I just got got a quote from american family insurance for one years worth of million $ general liability for 350$ from a local guy if want his # message me.

8. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

just so that anyone that wants to put down american family as far as being slow with the claims process last year i had a an accident while pulling out of a parking lot tried to stop on a sheet of ice going down hill and kept on sliding doing all of about 5mph it was taken care of in under a week. Friday my office flooded due to the sump pump float switch getting stuck my agent was out here to help me with the flood clean up and to make sure that the companies that she hired to help with the drying process were out doing what they are supposed to be doing and were here when they said that they would be here i would recommend her to anyone

9. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I just switched from amfam to a good friend of mine who Is a broker. I found out that the INS that I had with amfam would not have covered a thing except for things that fall under gl coverage. But they never setup my schedule or inland marine correctly and thank god nothing got stolen because nothing was listed. There is a catch to those low rates a lot of times. My friend works for American patriot and he has set everything up correctly, done all the legwork, and got me great rates. I have my wc through him and everything. I'll post his number in a sec. But he will come out and meet with you and make sure you get the coverage that you need and won't over cover you. His name is dan, tell him I sent you. (630) 571-6175

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  10. Martin Tirado

Martin Tirado Member

If you want to compare companies, I have 2 good contacts for you:
    1) Sam Rolph from American Family Insurance, he's in Oak Forest, IL. (708) 687-8770
    2) Adam Bengston from Wells Fargo. Also in the Chicago area: 309.454.6900 Ext:105

Both have worked with SIMA members before.

11. RAW Details

stroker thanks for Dan's # he's a stand up guy. wish i had his # this morning so i didnt have to deal with so much of the crap i just went through today.

12. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

i use country insurance... they are the only ones that were willing to give me insurance when i first started, everyone else wouldn't talk to me unless i was in business for atleast a year.... so i stuck with them, i have had to file 2 claims so far and they were always right on top of them, no problems, no hassles...

13. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Hey no problem! Like I said he is a good friend of mine and definitely an honest guy. He will take care of you for sure

14. snowbizplowing

snowbizplowing Member

sorry for the delay, he's a personal family friend i'm sure he will take care of ya.
    scott

here ya go!

Nicholas Petrocelli

Allegiance Insurance Services

Phone # (630) 908- 4233

Fax# (773)299-1845