1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy's new engine!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by frndinalowplace, Nov 1, 2005.

1. frndinalowplace

frndinalowplace Senior Member
    from 7hills

Did u guys hear about the chevy engine called the vortec max. it was made to conpet with the hemi. it has 345 horsepower same as hemi. I think they should've gone higher. This will be in the 06 models
  2. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i heard someone talking about it. the only problem with going more horsepower is it will probably mean more maintenece just like any thing that you run harder.
  3. frndinalowplace

frndinalowplace Senior Member
    from 7hills

I would understand that if there would be more power but 45 more horsepower is not that much and im sure chevy did their research
  4. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

That is awsome!!! More power!!!!:D
  5. Its nice

Its a 6.2 L i believe and it will easily outrun a hemi, cause the chevy is something like 500 pounds lighter
  6. jce4isu

jce4isu Senior Member

its the same

its the same motor that is in the 2500 it just a 6.0
  7. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

I could be wrong, but I think it is the same 6.0L the Escalade uses. 345hp, 380tq.
    The SS got this motor too, didn't it?
  8. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

now being raised on Chevy's and dodges I'm not brand prejudice. but as a parts guy for my local dodge dealer we get all kinds of new product info sheets and test and things of that sort. sry to rain or your parade but Chrysler had developed a 6.1l hemi it puts out 425 hp and 400 ft\lbs. they will be used in the 06 srt-10 rigs most with the nag-1 tyrany.
  9. digit

digit Member

There goes the tires

More power is good but it has to give somewhere. I havean 04 chevy diesel love the power but is hard on tires lucky to get 15000 miles on a set . I do quite a bit of towing with it I think when taking off loaded it puts a lot of stress on tires almost spinning without knowing it.
  10. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Funny you should mention that. We're finding the same with my friend's '05 2500HD. The first set was gone in a matter of monthes, this second set was LT285's and are probably 70% gone already too.
  11. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

It's just the 6.0 that they wedged into a 1/2 ton. I don't even think you can get it with four wheel drive. Boooooo.
  12. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Forget gas, go DIESEL!!! :jester:

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

14. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

They will always out do each other at some point. GM has a new 6.2 liter gas motor coming as well.
  15. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I run 12 mid to late 80's GMC 2500 series 4x4 plow trucks with gas powered small blocks. On the best one I take the plow off of it in the summer and put a 10' slide-in camper on it. It has 65,000 original miles on it and it runs like new. It has a TBI Fuel Injected 350 small block engine. The problem is that at best it gets maybe 8mpg if I am lucky. I have a 1995 2500 series 4x4 Suburban with a 6.5 Turbocharged Diesel that gets 22mpg average, has a 650 mile range per tank full, has a 12,500gvwr, and more torque than any gas engine including a big block. I can't imagine running a gas truck year round. Change the oil and filter and the air and fuel filters and your diesel will go another 60,000 miles without further service. My 6.5 Turbo Diesel has 165,000 miles and will probably hit 350,000 with no major problems (knock on wood!). Again, I can't see any advantage of buying a new truck with a gas motor...I don't want to start an arguement, just my opinion. :jester:
  16. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Diesel is ok but paying 80 cents more for diesel, cuts in to profits just to look cool. payup
  17. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

45 more HP is not that much?! That tops the Big Block. Not in torque I'm sure, but that's a huge gain.
  18. ???

In my area

20 gallons a gas at $2.78 a gallon = $55.60 15 miles per gallon ( If your Lucky ) = 450 miles

20 gallons of Diesel at $3.02 a gallon = $60.40 22 miles per gallon = 440 miles

For $4.80 more and 10 miles less a tank I will go for the cool factor any day......:nod:
  19. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Yeah, but that's after the $6000 hit you took to buy the engine/trans in the first place. When I bought my 2004, I did the math and determined that I would have to put 66,000 miles on the truck before I broke even from the savings I would realize for better diesel fuel economy. And that was before the fuel prices went crazy and diesel was less than regular. Now it's more than premium! CDI factor aside, unless you put a lot of miles on your truck, or pull something really heavy all the time, it just doesn't make financial sense to buy the diesel.

20. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

Well that $6,000 hit is mostly recovered in resale, so I don't consider it as bad as you think it is.
    I know about the resale because I was looking to buy one used and I didn't have the extra $5,000 or so the diesels seemed to be running.
    Plus the diesels tend to last longer.

BTW, you can make your own fuel for $.70 per gallon.:dizzy:
    For the winter you would have to mix it with normal diesel, so it would not save you as much, but during the summer you could run 100% biodiesel.