1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy woes...!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Turf Commando, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Alright, called local plow dealer asked what truck does he recommend for plowing the response was FORD, DODGE, why not Chevy ....?
    Claims new Chevy trucks have little axles, weak suspension and said is GM is cheap...
    But did say the older trucks were made for plowing .....

Any advice insight on topic is welcome...
  2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i have heard the old chevys ( 98 and older) were better than the newer ones..... not sure.. i had one newer and tons of EXPENSIVE problems sp that was the end of it in a hurry.......but iv been happy with dodge...solid front axles.....for the most part easy repairs, ( alot of them , but easy) small axels and idepended front supsention....plus electronic 4x4 ..big no , no...........

dont get me wrong for all u chevy fans.... u have the better gas motor (minus fuel delivery system, exhaust and intake, are horrible ) ... and the suspentions, is great..just not for a plow...but it rides like a cadelac
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

My 98 had a bad rep on this site this past winter as being always broke down. Most of it was just poor timing for known problems (intake gaskets). My 98 rides worse then my bosses f350 that I drive sometimes. Probably due to the 3/4 or 1 ton suspension and need for new shocks. I've plowed with my chevy and my bosses f350 and honestly I'd plow with either. If my truck was a 3500 I'm sure I would chose it over the f350. For what my truck is and what I do with it, I can't complain a bit. It's probably got to big of a plow on it but it holds it perfectly fine.

It's always been a battle about which of the big 3 is better and it will go on forever. Pick what you like.
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Are you talking a BRAND NEW truck?

What size of truck? 1500? 2500/3500?

What size and type of plow you planning to run?

What kind of accounts will you be servicing? Residential? Or commercial?

Need to haul a spreader as well?
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  5. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

6. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

chevy has got indepent frt suspension which sucks but chevy's got a better engine and trans. i have a 90 chevy k2500 and it goes throu snow in 2wd like nothing. i also have 600+ pounds of sand in the back. but overall i wouldnt go with anything other then chevy when i plow. just my 2 cents. ford and dodge arnt up to par
  7. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

Gm is the best. we are currently not running and NBS GM vehicals. but all of our GM vehicals are much better than the fords. the only ford we have that we like is our 98 with the 7.3L other than that we have had bad luck with fords.
  8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

He has already bought an older ford truck since he posted this.
  9. Zodiac

Zodiac Member

I agree with Red here. My 1991 K2500 moves snow in 2WD with no problems. When it gets thick, sure I've got to hit the 4WD. I've had very minor problems with my truck, but for it's age and shape it's in (been a plow truck for 17 years) I've expected them.

A friend of mine had a 1999 F250, plowed for six years with it, no problems. Decided to get rid of it because he was sure it was going to have some sort of problems. Bought another 2004 F250 diesel.

Now, nothing but problems. Electrical, front end, suspension. I have no idea how the guy puts that much money into something and doesn't hate it.
  10. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

you forgot a few things...the older chevys were much better than the new ones, dodge has the cummis, which is the worlds BEST motor ever made by fare,.... and ALL the TRUCKS SUCK AND THEY ALL BREAK

I found that the labors that i give shovels too, dont break too much, and they are cheap on fuel costs, and over head.....:jester:
  11. KrazyPlow

KrazyPlow Junior Member
    from utah

Yeah dude! tell em...CUMMINS all the way. i won't drive anything else
  12. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

YAY cummins! its the bestest engine EVER!! WHEEEEE:dizzy:
  13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

haha :D:gunsfiring: