1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy / Wide- out almost fell off!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mishnick, Mar 23, 2011.

1. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Here is yet another sample of what can happen when you use your equipment hard and don't inspect it regularly. This was off an 07 Chevy 2500, the owner compalained that the headlights were hitting the hood. Upon inspection we found that the rear end of the mount was broken off at the crossmember and the center mount bolt that goes up through the frame had ripped right through. The only thing holding this plow and mount on was the two front bolts on each side that go through where the tow hooks come out.

We were able to replace the mounts and re-install the plow but had to insert some 2 X 4 X 3/8" plates inside the frame to bridge the enlarged holes.

So now you know why the installers always tell you to re-torque your fastners after a few days of use. This install was about three years old and was never inspected. You would think that a mechanic would have noticed during one of the many oil changes it had over the past years?

So please guy and gals... Have your equipment checked over once a year at least and make sure your plow doesn't fall off and kill somebody!:help:

2. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

You would think an attentive plow operator would hear some banging around under there. ...but we know how that goes.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Does this have anything to do with the IFS?
  4. BIGGB9

BIGGB9 Senior Member

All I have to say is WOW
  5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Admittedly the owner of this company says that the boys run them hard and for what he pays they really don't give a crap for the equipment. I would be more critical of the company mechanic who is apparently full time and does all the oil changes on their hoist. How could you NOT see that when you are under the engine? It wasn't't until the plow lights hit the hood and dented it that they brought it to us because their mechanic is not a plow guy.
    That is why I posted the pics, I am regularly amazed by the catastrophic failures we get in our shop. I hope that people will see what can happen and then take a look for the early stages of the same failure in their own equipment before it gets to this point.

2core517: Not sure what IFS is?
  6. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Independant front suspension...doubt this would have anything to do with the truck mounts.

This is why I take it nice and easy when I plow casue **** like this isnt worth the headache of dealing with. But i will check all my bolts before next season, thanks.