1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy.... what year????

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by SPL2Alan, Mar 23, 2003.

1. SPL2Alan

SPL2Alan Junior Member

my dad started a project 4x4 a lonnnnnnng time ago... he got a new truck and decided not to work on it anymore..... its probably been sitting out for about 6 years......
    basically its a frame, a bumper, the suspension, and a tranny. He thinks its either a '70 or a '71. Is there any sure way to tell? I'm gonna be bugging you guys for a lot of help real soon here, i've decided to take it on as my own project..... any ideas are definitely welcome! :D
    thanks in advance...
    -Alan

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Alan,

Depending on just how carried away you want to get with it, the year somewhat does not matter exactly. The only difference between 67 - 72 trucks was cosmetics and trim. The only difference between a 70 & 71 was the front grille. Same engine, suspension, and drivetrains. Front axles were Dana or GM, rear axles were GM or Eaton. All body parts interchange from 67 - 72, including trim. Maby drivetrain and suspension part will interchange with 73 - 87 trucks too.

~Chuck

3. firefighter

firefighter Member
    from Ohio

Truck Project

I would ask your dad for the title of the truck. that will tell you.

Firefighter

:waving:

4. SPL2Alan

SPL2Alan Junior Member

Re: Truck Project

haha..... i doubt he knows where it is.... my mom might, since she now tells me they pay a 5 dollar fee on it every year..... but now that i know it will interchange with a lot of other years it shouldn't be that big of a problem..... my first problem is going to be the tranny thats on it.....
    he put a board over it to keep the weather out, but i think 6 years of it was a bit too much, what do you think? I tried moving the shifter, and it was stuck.... what kind of problem can i expect from this?? just frozen up, with little work to get it functioning, or is it pretty much garbage and i need a new one? what do ya think?

5. SPL2Alan

SPL2Alan Junior Member

Brakes.....

what about disc brakes? anyone know what year i could take a set of disc brakes off and get them to fit on this 70 or 71?

6. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

First you need to determine what axle the truck has. It MOST LIKELY has a Dana 44. Then all you would need is from the steering knuckles out off a donor Dana 44 from a GM. The Dana 44 was more common in GMC's than Chevy's. Also, there were a couple of different ones, which should not be a problem since the spindles will still bolt to your steering knuckles. You can find the Dana 44 in many 73 - 87 trucks.

I can't remember since it has been about 10 years (ok 15) since my buddy swapped discs into his 70', but I think he swapped a new Master cylinder in too. I am unsure if the original 70' master had a single reservior or duals. I also can't recall if he had to swap the proportioning valve as well or not.

I know your next question is going to be power steering.... you can use a box from a 73 - 77 model, and pump with bracket. Just double check the "rag joint" on yours to make sure it will match up to the power box. There were different numbers of splines on the input shaft of the box, so they are not all the same.

The PS box went on my 80 GMC, and my buddy still has the one from his 70'. We could not use it because the rag joint and number of splines was different.

~Chuck