1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy W/6.0 Or Dodge W/hemi?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BASIC, Apr 27, 2005.

1. BASIC

BASIC Member

Hi,I might soon be in the market for a new pickup.I have a Ford F-350,PSD,6 speed with about 156,000 mi.I've had what I think a fair amount of problems with it.I just found out the ball joints are on their way out,they were replaced about 3 years ago and then again 6 months after.The last storm we had the tran's slave cyl.went,a few years before the hyd.line to the clutch let go.Theres been alot more problems,I think its time to switch.I'd like to get the Dodge with the diesel but I don't know if I can justify $5000.Which is the most reliable truck and engine the Chevy with the 6.0 or the Dodge with the Hemi?I'm also interested in an auto trans,I've read enough posts to know it seems to be the favoured trans for plowing.I have never plowed with anything other than my Ford how do gas engine trucks with autos compare?I tow a small landscape trailer,maybe about 2500 lbs.-3000 lbs.loaded.My plow is a Fisher EZ/V 8.6 plow that I'll probably keep

2. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I will say the my Dodge 2500HD with the Hemi engine has been great. 55000 miles 3 seasons of plowing commercial, only problem was fuel injector went out last winter of course. The difference you will notice with both trucks compared to the diesel is way less torque and the fuel consumption will be higher. One other thing make sure you get the 4:10 gear, my truck pulls well and pushes snow without a problem.. Both small blocks need the lower gear to help tow or push snow. They lack the low end grunt so the 4:10 makes up for it. If you have more ?'s feel free to ask.

Todd

3. BASIC

BASIC Member

T-MAN,thanks for the reply.I noticed Dodge offers two auto tranmissions,a 4 speed and a heavy duty 5 speed,which do you have?BASIC

4. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

ALL DODGE TRANNY'S ARE JUNK it doesnt matter witch one you get you better have a spare. i love the chevy with the 6.0 and auto plus the chevy's are so smooth riding its incredible.

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Chevy uses Allison trannys which have problems of their own. Coworker of mine has had his Duramax back to the dealer 6 times for tranny issues that GM still doesn't have a fix for.
    FWIW the Duramax is an Isuzu engine, and Chevy uses torsion bar front suspension which is pitifully weak for front end loads, like carrying a plow.
    Dodge has fixed most of the problems with their trannys, they only really existed on the diesel models anyway so if you're looking for a gasser nothing to worry about.
    Incidently, always go for the more gears tranny, but be sure to turn OD off when plowing (actually you should turn OD off all the time unless you're on the highway to save the OD clutch which is mad expensive for replacement)

6. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

The Chevy 6.0 gasser only comes with the 4L80E 4-speed automatic. All things considered, it's the best design of any of the big 3's automatics. It's basically a time-tested turbo 400 with an overdrive gear. It's been out longer than the Ford a-whatever-OD 4/5 speeds or the "new and improved" Dodge 4 and 5 speed automatics. Still less bugs with the GM one...

As for the front axle debate most (including I) are not fans of IFS but regardless of what people say the GM's front axle and suspension is as good and as strong as the Dodge's AAM solid front axle. GM's soggy torsion bars definitely need at least timbrens to keep the front end up with that Ez-V.

All things considered too the Chevy is probably a bit more reliable because it's engine/trans/rear/transfer case have stayed the same for a few years thus they have had a few more years to work out the bugs. A Hemi with a 5 speed auto is an awesome combo but it's still a pretty new design with more of a likelihood of bugs... Not that the Dodge is a bad design either :)

Best advice - drive both trucks a few times and get the one you like driving the best. And go 4.10 gears regardless of what the dealer tries to sell you because you'll never regret it when you are pushing snow... or pulling.

7. T-MAN

I have the 5 speed auto and it has been great. I do change the fluid and filter before the last 2 seasons, so far so good .
    So Karl what gave you the idea all Dodge trannys were junk ?
    Todd

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  8. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

Have had 2 GMC 6.0/auto combos. Both worked very well plowing. The one I have now is a crew cab and it's a very nice riding truck. It also carrys the plow with no problems. :cool:

9. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

it is pretty well known that dodge trannys are junk every one knows it wether they well admit it or not i know the chevy front ends are a little saggier but they ride like achomp the 90% of the time when you dont have the plow on. i love the 4l80e no problems with it and all in all not many people do have problems with them

10. Rappa

Rappa Member

I love my GM 6.0. plowed 3 seasons with my 02 2500HD and reported 0 problems. That's 0 problems. I just sold it and bought a brand new one!

11. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Karl have you ever owned a Dodge? If you haven't keep it to yourself, I've heard bad things about Chevy and Ford, but never owned one so I won't say anything on the subject. Last thing anyone needs to pass on is information from someones cousins, brothers, mothers, exboyriends paroll officer that one time he heard of a guy with a bad transmission. Most causes of failure for the newer transmissions are heat (which will kill ANY transmission) and use of the wrong fluid ie. using Dexron III instead of ATF+4.

12. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 Senior Member

welll said man!

13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 2000 Dodge 3500 diesel with 120,000 miles on it. 3 years of plowing with a heavy plow. The only problem I have had with the tranny is 3 sensors, and the same 3 went in my '98. I also have a 2003 Gmc 3500 2wd with a 9'6" Fisher V and a 8' salter in the back. It has a 6L gas engine and has had no repairs at all. I hire 11 brokers for the winter and one of them has a new Dodge with a Hemi and a 810 Blizzard. The truck and plow work great but it is really hard on fuel. If you drive a lot the fuel savings will pay for the diesel option and the resale value will be considerably higher. The 6L will be a lot better then the Hemi on fuel.

14. T-MAN

So how in the heck do you know the Hemi is worse on fuel ???
    My Hemi did a lil better then my buddys 6.0 this year plowing. We plowed side by side all season till March when he baled and got the Duramax. 5.8 mpg exactly while plowing ( I use the Mpg gauge constantly so this is exact)
    I wish ALL the self proclaimed experts would back there "Information" with some real world experience.

The poor guy Basic asked for info on what truck to get and the "Idiots" crawl out of the woodwork about buy a Chevy man cause they "Rock" dude. Dodge sucks dude, I had a 94 in 01 with 150000 miles on it and the tranny fried man Dodge sucks :jester: I have owned all 3 of the big major manufactures and my Dodges have been great. Compare apples to apples guys. Of course the Chevy will do better on gas if you spent half your time in transit to plow sites or what ever. It sure is easy just to spew sht on this site and there certainly is alot of it.

Anway real life experience with Dodge has been awsome, I work these trucks hard and they have not let me down . So I would say buy a Dodge if you need a dependable truck.

Todd

15. BASIC

BASIC Member

What kind of MPG on the 6.0,Hemi and the Cummins.I've read that the 8.1 get about the same MPG as the 6.0,whats been your experience.I'm leaning towards the Dodge/Cummins.I think I would miss the low end torque of the diesel.BASIC.

16. T-MAN

Basic get the Dodge with the Cummins no comparison .
    Todd

17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 2000 Cummins in a 3500 and get 500 miles on 28 gallons highway and 400 average pulling a single axle trailer.

18. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

This is humorous,I have a Dodge 1/2 87 that has over 400,000 miles and STILL has original never fixed Trans.I have 98 Dodge 110,000 miles and has original trans also never repaired.It's called maintenance.If its maintained then it wont break.Now I also have 2005 HD 6.0 Chevy and guess what .2 times now into shop for trans that only has 5000 miles already slipping.It doesn't't matter who makes the truck it's who maintains it...

19. T-MAN

Chris thanks for your input about your experiences with your Dodge trucks. I believe you made a great point about maintenence, and your right !! Beat the crap out of your truck no maintenence and they all die.
    When I was just started driveing all I had were Chevys beat them senseless, no maintence just beat them :) Guess what blew motors, trannys (turbo 400's) rearends too. But I was not ignorant enough to blame GM , I knew why they blew up.
    Todd

20. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I have got to put in a plug for GM here. I can't say anything about Dodge because I have never run one. Been VERY happy with my 2500HD GM trucks. I got a 2001 in 2001 on lease and traded it last year for an 04, this winter we had to replace an older truck so I got an 05 GM. All my trucks have had the 6 litre gas with the 4:10 rear end - ext cab short box. You can pull or push whatever you want (and I do). I ran the 810 Blizzard plows this year, no problems pushing the snow, I pull a trailer with a 6000 pound skid steer, no problem. Guys talk about more torque and power and so on with the diesel, truth is I never used all mine up yet :cool: Nice riding, nice handling and I have had no repair issues yet. Well, ok, I usually burn out a set of heated mirrors each winter but they change them under warranty :drinkup:

Just my 2 cents worth.