1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy vs. Toyota what your opinion

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ToyotaPower, Mar 15, 2003.

1. ToyotaPower

ToyotaPower Senior Member

If you had a choice would you buy a Chevy 1500 HD reg cab 5.3 liter (200hp) or a Toyota Tocoma V6 reg cab (145hp) :confused: We only do small resdiential driveways. We already have 2 toyotas a 1986 4cylinder and 1988 V6. With all that snow this year the toyotas were struggling to push snow...:waving:

2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Chevy. Mike

3. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Well, I know that Toyota is a good solid half ton truck and it is easier to manuever than full size half ton truck. However I am sure that the plow size is limited.

I own both 1989 Toyota 4 cylinder pickup and 2002 Chevy 2500HD pickup. I have not put plow on my 2500HD yet, but will be doing that this summer.

If I were to choose, I would stick with Chevy 1500HD. You could put a bigger plow on it, I would think 7.5' Fisher regular duty plow would be the best option. But it will be a bit less manuever than the Toyota Tacoma, but I think that you will like the Chevy 1500HD better. More comfortable with more load capacity. You would not be disappointed.

4. snowflake

snowflake Member

dodge i thought that was the only plow truck they made anymore

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

If the Toyota is struggling to push snow then so will anything else you get. Others may argue but those who really know plowing, (Alan, Chuck, etc) will agree, Snowplowing is less about horsepower and torque and more about weight and traction. You need good tires and weight to move snow. I have seen empty fullsize trucks not able to move snow that was easily plowed by a mini half ton with good tires and weight in the back. Each truck has its own use. If you are doing small drives then stay with the Toyota.

6. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Chevy Like a rock :drinkup:

7. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

Chev definately.

8. SnoFoilFisher21

SnoFoilFisher21 Member

come on man!! those two brands shouldnt even be depatable!! its a toyota.....loll.....i couldnt imagine it being that strong or reliable. Its a little rice burner, go with the real american power, I think anyone would go with a Chev baby!!!:D

9. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I was thinking the samething. Those 2 names shouldnt even be used in the same sentence, haha. Unless of course if he was comparing a little s10 with the Toyota, but in this case he is not. Mike

10. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

it's a apples to oranges comparison.

two totally different animals.

a client of mine has a Toyota Tacoma with the v-8, seems like a decent truck.

11. SnoFoilFisher21

SnoFoilFisher21 Member

Ditto that mike lol:D

12. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Chevy over toyota

13. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

i would go CHEVY

14. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

TP, if get the chevy,the 5300 should be 285HP,and the 1500HD is only avalable with a crew cab ,unless this is new option. the 1500HD has an 8600GVWR,andi f you peek under the rear of the truck there will be 14 bolts on the differential cover the regular 1500's have 10. I would honestly wait for a 2500 Chevy,the truck is much more versitile and costs about the same.The ride isnt that much worse,and it can carry a v box,and plow or a 2 stage spreader,or even a v plow if you decide to get bigger lots.

15. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

WARRANTY ISSUES

If your buying new and are worried about
    factory warranty. GM is the way to go....
    They offer sno plow prep. on a reg cab 1/2
    ton full size. Toyota does not. And i smoked
    a few parts over the years. Paid $100 deductible
    and fixed with no problem.
    NOW ALL mfrs. are being a PIA about plow
    related breakage on a non- plow prep.
    equipped truck from factory !.
    But if your going used ..no worries..buy what you
    like!........geo

Last edited: Mar 16, 2003
  16. nicksb2

nicksb2 Junior Member

Chevy or Toyota? I'd have to say Chevy. (Even though we all know Fords are the best!):D

17. myo

myo Senior Member

GM all the way!

18. bdemir

bdemir Member

I would have to say toyota. Even though chevy makes good trucks i just have so much faith in toyotas reliablilty and build quality that i know they are better. Look at the old landcrusers they are the ultimate plow vehicles. A toyota pickup will take abuse lik no other. That goes for the tranny, driveline, engine etc.... If chevy didnt have tranny and elecrical problems i would say chevy. I always used my toyota as a backup for the ford and chevys downtimes during lawncare and that says a lot about toyotas.

But you have a quarter ton comapred to a small size pickup. I would put the t-100 or tundra up against a chevy any day.

Bedros

Last edited: Oct 23, 2003
  19. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I wouldnt say a Toyota isnt a good reliable truck, but on the other hand I have no electrical troubles with my Chevy truck. Sure the transmission went after alot of use and pushing snow. The truck has like 149k miles and the trans has been redone once, thats not bad at all. Secondly, a 1500 isnt a 1/4 ton truck, its a half ton. I just cant see how a Toyota could be as powerful, or push snow as well as a full size truck, be it a Chevy, Ford, or a Dodge. Just my oppinion, but hey if it works for you then great, I would never tell someone that they COULDNT use one for plowing, just wouldnt be my choice when there is so many other choices out there. I just like my particular truck because it is a full size truck, with a pretty powerful motor, 350, and its very short and nimble to get around stuff, or turn around. Its like a little tank, if you will. Mike :)

20. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

Chevy, but, like John said, not a 1500HD. A crew cab is too big to manuver in your small sites. Get the 2500 if you need the extra GVW but even a 1500 (I think) is heavyer than the Toyota and should push better.

My 2 (hey theres no cents sign on this keyboard $$$)