1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy Vs. Ford

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by POWERSTROKEFURY, Nov 11, 2004.

Put all judgemental aspects aside besides traction. I'm a Ford lover, but our back-up truck is a 1500, and personally, sometimes I would pick that over my F-250 with a 460c.i. motor and 4:10 posi-rear end any day. It just seems that with a higher gear ratio, and the wish-bone suspention, sometimes I get stuck less. I've gotten in trouble many 'a time on an up-hill driveway where my ass end has slid over because of the posi, and then my whole truck has ended up in the ditch. I'm a Ford Fan to death, but does anyone else feel the same way?
  2. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

I am a Chevy fan as deep as you are a Ford fan. I know when the IFS K1500's came out in late 1987 (I was working at the local dealer at the time) all of the guys ion the shop that plowed were not at all impressed with how they carried a blade. Until that is, they went out and plowed with them. All of the guys on our plow crew there raved about how well they pushed compared to the earlier generation of straight axle trucks because of improved traction.
  3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I've got good ol' stock differentials and I've never had any traction problems except on ice. :waving:
  4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

IMO Traction should be the same. Tires and if you have a locker or limited slip will make a bigger difference. Were IFS is nice while plowing is the turning radius. Most times you are on pretty flat pavment and the tires are contacting flat regardlee of it being a SFA or IFS JMO
  5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i like all american trucks dodge chevy ford
  6. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Now this is what I really would rather hear!
    I've seen so much back and forth here about chevy vs. ford, ford vs. dodge, cummins vs. powerstroke, etc., and I think the most important thing is that they're all AMERICAN. I know they're not all made here, my Dodge was made in Mexico. What can you do about that? It's just like when I argue with the guys who have American flags and "Union this" and "Union that" stickers all over their Toyota Tundra. "It's made in America", they say. Fine. Then I say, "But where does the money go???" I never liked rice burners and I try to support American workers and manufacturing whenever I can. I don't put a Japanese flag on my Dodge.

As far as the big 3 go, it's a personal choice. There isn't one a member can't rave about, and not one nobody ever had problems with. I just like the look of the Dodge, my 2000, but I don't care for the new style at all. I love my interior layout. It has no center floor console so it's more open in the cab, and I think the 40/20/40 split is a great design with the huge fold away storage console between the two front seats. Also, and I know some will roll their eyes, but it has the absolute biggest and best cup holders I've ever seen in any vehicle, and I've had a Suburban and an F-150. They will hold beverages no other holder would come close to, and I'm sorry, but I LIKE that! I know I'm not plowing with the cup holders...... ;)

These interior/comfort issues are things almost nobody ever mentions and I think they have alot to do with a man's decision on the kind of truck he wants to drive. Engines and drivetrains are an issue too of course, but my 5.9 gas engine runs great and my much flamed infamous Dodge tranny is fine, knock on wood. And you know what, if something breaks, I'll replace it and just keep on truckin'..........like everything else this is JMO...... :drinkup: :waving:
  7. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Well hopefully you can figure out which one I prefer. why? It sits higher then the others. The interior is stripped so I cant say i like that part. The V10 is a powerhouse :D and the ride and truck just feels solid. Also every time I see a newer chevy or GMC's headlights the song I'm turning Japanese comes to mind. :rolleyes:
  8. gpin

gpin Senior Member

We have Fords and GMCs and I never used to care. The repair bills seem to be less on the GMCs. I'm also leaning towards the GMCs for smoothness and comfort.
  9. shepoutside

shepoutside Member

I have both, but my fave is a chev, but in gas. I run many fords, but with diesels. My personal truck is a chev, and my workers run fords, but will admit I was a Ford lover before.