1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy Vs. Dodge

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by V10SCOTTY, Feb 15, 2005.

1. V10SCOTTY

V10SCOTTY Member
    from Ontario

Hey chevy guys whats up.Ok I got a dodge ram 2500 ext. cab 4x4 with a V10 passes everything but a gas station,and the front end keeps falling off of it and I take really good care of it I have replaced just about everything in the front in the last 1000km's and I only put 6000km's on this year and I grease the darn thing twice a month.It had a safety a year ago so everything should be good its never seen mud or hauled or plowed yet.Nevermind it rides like a 1954 dump truck :cry: .I want to switch over to a Chevy Ya ya I'm a trader but hey.My dad is a chevy guy and thinks all my problems are funny because I don't listen to him when he tells me dodge is junk.Ok guys tell me what you LIKE and DISLIKE about your heavy chevy's.I'll be looking for a 2500 4x4 chevy or GMC with either a 6.0L gasser or a 6.6L duramax :drinkup:
  2. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

my dodge rides like a lumber wagon and chevy's are known for a sweet ride. If I had to do it all over again I'd go with my 2500 HD.
  3. Swampdonkey

Swampdonkey Member

I have a 1500HD crew cab with the 6.0. I can pull a 18ft. trailer with John Deere 4200 on and with that 6.0 you don't notice the extra weight. I can't help with a 2500HD but, IMO the 6.0 is an awesome motor.

Dump the Dodge and get a Chevy :drinkup: :drinkup:
  4. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

I love my HD. I can't coment on the ride/power/handling of a Dodge. The only thing that I am not a big fan of is the turning radius. It's a little long. Other than that and the occasional CSK it is a great truck. Rides great for a heavy 3/4 ton, the 6.0 is powerful and quick. I am getting 10 or 11 mpg city and 14 on the highway with the cruise set. I am not complaining about that.

5. snow warrior

snow warrior Member

get an 8.1w/ allison you won't be upset i promise :drinkup:
    the ride is awsome can't even tell when it shifts
  6. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I'll put it simply for you .... RELIABILITY. 8 seasons plowing, one tow for a rotted battery cable that cought me by surprise. That's it. I use it for plowing, normal commuting, family events ( it's a 4 door crew cab, 5.7, k3500 kept very clean ). Nice ride and works like a horse.
  7. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

Let's face it, the GM's are about to be changed over to a redesign in a year or two. So, the truck's they're making now have the kinks worked out pretty much.

If you're looking for a used one, go with something other than the first year of the current design (help me here guys, did the current design come out in '01?... I absolutely cannot remember).

When we decided to get a Trailblazer, I waited for the first year kinks to work themselves out and waited for an '03. I'm glad I did. Two of my cousins bought Trailblazers for their spouses and those 02's have a lot of problems compared to our '03.

I've been down the "first year" road before... an '82 Camaro was my first "bought-as-new" car was an absolute piece of crap. Supposedly, the '82 Camaro and Firebird broke records at GM for the most problematic vehicles every made at GM. I'm not sure that's true or not, but with all the horror stories I've heard about those '82's, it has to be close to truth.

I absolutely love my '03 2500HD. I still can't get over the ride when it's empty and has not plow on the front.

OK, so it's not the fanciest inside, so what? The Silverado LT isn't so bad if you have to have fancy (I have an LS as it's a regular cab and I like the LS's cloth seats better than the leather seats in our Trailblazer LTZ). Or, save fancy-shmancy stuff for your family ride, or your weekend ride, or whatever.

I've owned Fords, I've owned Dodges, and I've owned GM's (a lot of GM's). I prefer GM's, and many others here do too, I guess.

Of course, every manufacturer puts out lemons, and you might get one. You just never know if you're going to get a lemon.

But, I have heard an awful lot of horror stories like yours about Dodges, and some too about Fords.

There are problems with GM's disc brakes here in road-salt country, as I can attest to with the Trailblazer. But, as long as it's not too, too bad of a problem, and you can get some warranty support, it's not so bad a thing that you can't live with it (did I put too many negatives in that sentence?... you know what I mean, right?).

OK, so I'm running on and on and on and on... again!!! (Gee, there's something new and different for me!!!) Sorry about that.
  8. V10SCOTTY

V10SCOTTY Member
    from Ontario

thanks for the input so far guys.I have been pricing chevy's and they seem to be resonably priced.I have so far decided to go with the 2500hd ext. cab short box 4x4 with the 6.0L auto SL, snow plow prep package.Anybody else running this combination?I plan on hanging a Fisher 8'2 EZ-V off the front.Its just the breaking down and giving GM $41,000.But I think I'm making a wise choice.I priced out a 3500 it is a little cheaper but it has those ugly rims.If I'm spending that kinda cash It better look good at delivery time..lol...Is the 2500HD SL a good choice?
  9. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

Is this a GMC or chevy? $41k for an "sl" (very basic) sounds super expensive. I hope you mean LS (chevy). Don't take offense...just trying to clear up any mis-communications! Also, spring for the 8.1/allison. You will get about the same gas mileage (so i heard), better mileage when towing!
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2005
  10. snow warrior

snow warrior Member

yes you will and the ride is the same GET THE 8.1 W/ALLISON ITS WORTH EVERY PENNYAND THEN SOME :salute: :D

:gunsfiring: 6.0 LITER
  11. davidrbean

davidrbean Member

:nod: I've got a 03 2500 hd with the 8.1 and allison and I love it. All the power I need when I need it. 9mpg city 13 mpg hiway
  12. dmcenery

dmcenery Member

Duramax Diesel

Scotty, If you are looking for the Allison Trans. upgrade to the Duramax. I have a 05 3500 SRW with that combination and it handles plowing with no problem. Much more powerful than my 02 F350 with the 7.3 Powerstroke. Both are regular cab long bed models.
  13. V10SCOTTY

V10SCOTTY Member
    from Ontario

Yes thats what I meant LS sorry...No offense taken..I only priced it out on the Chev web-site...I'm yet to sit down with a pushy sales man.My price is in canadian $$$ so its more cause your dollar is higher than ours even though most of the trucks are made here.Or is the chevy web site setting me up for when I go to the dealer and when the dealer tells me $35,000 I think I'm getting a deal because of the higher web site price.hmmm
  14. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

If you're still looking for a new truck you can come on over and look at the old bobcat carrier & see what they're like after 12 yrs and 250k