1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy Unimount Swap!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JCI Trans, Oct 21, 2008.

1. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

Hey guys...longtime reader, finally signed up. I am looking to swap a 7.5' unimount from a '95 tahoe to an '04 silverado 1500 cc/sb. It wll be used to supplement another truck to plow our yard and a few driveways. I fount the truck side mount but cant seem to find the wiring. Looks to me like the old one wouldnt be too hard to adapt to new, maybe a few relays added here and there. Anyone done this before??? Ive seen some great insight on this site before so i figured i'd ask. Thanks!ussmileyflag

2. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes I have ....I took an 2000 and used it on a 92 just eliminated the relay that I Got with the plow...Then reinstalled it on an 01 using the relays I previously got when I bought the plow...You will need the right relays..I don't know if they are different for an 01 verses an 04...But the hook up is not to difficult...I have a Hiniker Plow......01 silverado...

3. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

Thanks for the fast response! I figure there will be some relay work to do, and i have recruited the help of a very knowledgeable electrical nerd to help do the swap. Has anyone done this with a western before??? There appears to be minimal wiring in the truck side. thanks again!

4. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

i just put an older sehp unit on my 78
    made my own harness
    you need 5 wires to the front of truck. i cut the molex from the joy stick off
    1 will stop at the pump sol +(yellow i think) which should be close to the bat ( - side comes from bat)
    the other 4 go to the pump sols wh,blu,gr and i forget the other (mine dont match fac colors)
    you pick up the 6th (power wire) from the fuse block pref switched by ign with a 10a fuse.
    get a good heavy duty relay
    fisher does have a harness and you need a 6" conversion harness to connect joy or fishstik .....$$$$$

hope it helps

5. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I have the joystick from the old truck along with all the wiring. I called the local western dealer and they told me something like $6-800 for the updated wiring, didnt seem worth it to me. I think i'll be going wirenuts' route and making the swap with the old stuff.