1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy undercarriage mount B30042-1

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Grambo170, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Grambo170

Grambo170 Junior Member

So, Hers the question I was doing some work on my truck and while underneath found a missing bolt on the plow undercarriage,
    Question is a according to the install instructions the tow hooks were to be removed and not used
    (I brought this truck last year first time owning a plow) :mechanic:
    Well this truck still has the tow hooks installed and is using the tow hook bolts for mounting is this acceptable or should I remove tow hooks and mount per install manual,
    Then the next question is can I use grade 8 bolts or use grade 5 bolts.

Thanks

Graham

2. damian

damian Senior Member

the factory bolts are grade 8 Ive used the tow hooks and hardware without any trouble. the tow hooks are metric.

3. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Early on the standard was to keep the tow hooks and replace the stock metric hardware with a longer higher grade bolt. We saw a lot of snapped bolts over the years and the new standard is to remove the tow hooks. Use over size hardened washers inside the frame and grade 8 bolts with Jam Lock nuts.

If your holes are already egged out they need repaired before reinstall.

4. Grambo170

Grambo170 Junior Member

Guy's Thanks for the responses I cut off the bad hooks brought new hooks go grade 10.9 bolts and replaced all hardware. The hole weren't egged to my untrained eye, Thanks to DD in a PM I sent him got everything resolved with some great advise.

Then traded in the truck for an 2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD crew cab sweet:)

Now off to customize the new ride.

Graham