1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy Trucks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by EDL, Feb 13, 2000.

1. EDL

EDL PlowSite.com Veteran

This is more of a question for the snow plowing, than for the chevy discussion. I had an 89 3/4 ton, that I plowed with, every year we were rebolting the front end back together because it would split, has chevy redesigned a more stronger front end for these truck, or has no update been made, because I recently purchased a 99, althought there is no plow on it now I was wondering for future references. Thank Tom

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I have a 98 and have had no problems with the IFS. Do you have the older style or a new silverado. I know alot of people plowing with the Gm ifs and have heard of very few problems.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

3. EDL

EDL PlowSite.com Veteran

Thanks Dino, I have the 99 C/K 2500

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Tom,what would split apart on the front end?I have had severalC/K's and in my family there are 7,they all plow comercially and not one has had a single front end problem and they are farm trucks so they get beat bad.Mine is more trouble free than the straight axle on the Dodge has been.I know that they wear Idler arms,and pitman arms but so do all the trucks that plow.I'd like to know incase it's happening to our trucks and we don't know it. John DiMartino<p>----------<br>John D<br>

5. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I had a friend who had the same problem with his chevy truck. The reason his front axel kept breaking was the way he plowed. He would charge the pile at mach 1, then come to a stop, raise the blade and keep on pushing. The reason it broke the axel was he was trying to lift the whole snow banking and push it, just too much axel weight. He broke like 4 or 5 front axels this way. I don't know if this was how yours broke or not, but just an idea.<p>Geoff

6. EDL

EDL PlowSite.com Veteran

Hi John, it was the front axle, and it was plowed with but wasn't beaten, i don't know if it was just a lemon, but the oddest things would break on the truck.

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

It is wierd how some people have nothing but greif with say a chevy-but the next guy has nothing go wrong and beats it up too.Some things we just cant explain,but I've seen it enough myself to know it happens.Do you know if it was the half-shaft,or the axle disconnect that went.Mine has been great and I have a V-box in back and 140K on it.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

8. EDL

EDL PlowSite.com Veteran

John It was the actual axle housing that would split, and leak gear oil forever.