1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy Truck suspension suggestions?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by AMiller320, Sep 23, 2003.

1. AMiller320

AMiller320 Junior Member

Hello, all -- this is my first post here.

I have a 1989 Chevy K2500 (stanard cab, long bed) that needs new shocks. It's not my daily driver -- I just use it for light hauling and putzing around. I have a plow for it, which I'll use this winter for my driveway (and maybe my neighbors).

The truck has a lot of miles, and the plow is old. I don't think it will be around forever (to say the least).

I'd like to replace all four shocks with something fairly inexpensive. I was thinking Rancho -- either the RS5000 or the new RSX. Either can be had for under $200 for the set. That's my top budget number.

Any other ideas? I see that Tokico makes something around that range.

Help!

Andy>>

2. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

The best shocks I have had on my truck were the Rancho 9000's. Always set on the highest setting. Firm ride even with the plow. Use them in the front and the 5000's in the rear

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

The Rancho's are OK,but if you want to save some bucks and still have a good shock,then get a set of Monroe blue shocks.They are just a HD gas charged shock,that performs just as well as the Rancho's,at half the price.Most good parts stores should have them.Some parts stores use them for their house brand shocks.

4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

bilstens Not much better IMO

5. AMiller320

AMiller320 Junior Member

Really? The cheapie Monroes are okay? They're only like $20, I figured they were crap.

Looking at their site, they also offer a line called "Gas Magnum Truck," which costs around $28/each. I'm wondering if there's any real difference between the two.

I tried to call Monroe, but they were already closed for the day...

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

I don't think you could go wrong with either of the Monroe shocks.

7. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

Hey I'm from Monroe, MI (hence Monroe shocks) buy the Monroes. They have worked well for me. I don't really put much stock in most of the shocks that are coming out. I stick with the good old standard blue Monroe shocks. Thick leaf springs are what matter in plowing. IMO