1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy Truck Problems, Computer?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Caleb55, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Caleb55

Caleb55 Member

I've got a '95 2500 Chevy with a 350. The truck started to do some weird things last week, like the radio would cut out for a couple seconds when I turned the wipers one, and the cassette player would start up on it's own when I started the truck up. Now yesterday and today the tach and speedo are acting strange. Most the time they work fine, but every so ofter the speedo will go up and down on it's own, so will the tach. A couple times the tranny douwnshifted on it's own too. The indicator light for the gear selector will also go off and on. I was thinking maybe the computer was taking a dump, but I'm not real sure. The radio isn't cutting out anymore when the wipers are on, but the tach and speedo problems got my confused, any helps appreciated.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Since you have many different thing going haywire I doubt it's just one component that's causing your trouble's.But their is one common denominator among all the component's and it's that's everyone need's a good ground to operate properly. Check your battery to frame ground wire's AND the frame to body ground's too for corrosion.

3. Caleb55

Caleb55 Member

My dad suggested that too, I'm going to check that out tomm.

4. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

im also going to suggest that. there should be a couple on your firewall too.

5. Caleb55

Caleb55 Member

The ground strap from the frame is broke. It was so corroded that it crumbled in my hand. My next question is where does it connect to from the frame, since I couldn't find the other end. On my '96 there is a stud that it connects to right under the heater hoses, looked like there might have been one there on my '95 at one time. Could I just use a self traping screw to ground it to the body?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

As long as theirs a good ground connection between the frame and the cab,it doesn't really matter where you put it.The self tapping screw would be fine.Clean any paint or undercoating from your connection point's too. As added insurance I'd run an additional new ground wire from the engine to the frame also as the original probably isn't too good either.