1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chevy transmission

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bossblu4x4, Oct 26, 2003.

1. bossblu4x4

bossblu4x4 Junior Member
    from oregon

would like to know if my th350 4speed can be put into my 78 chevy 3/4 ton 4X4 which I have in my 89 chevy suburban which is a 2 wheel drive ? thanks

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Welcome to Plowsite.

The TH350 is a 3 speed.

Need a little more info.If this is the trans in your 89,it will either be a 700R4 (4 speed,with OD),or a TH400 (3 speed).

What trans is in the other truck ?

3. bossblu4x4

bossblu4x4 Junior Member
    from oregon

it's a 4 speed auto

the tranny that i'm talking about is a 4speed from my 89 2wheel drive suburban and would like to swap it into my 78 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup that has a 350 turbo tranny .and yes it's a 4 speed auto ,sorry should have told you ,also since i'm here ,is it a big problem to swap my 350c.i. for a 454 also into my 78pick up .Thanks for all your help . If need to my e-mail is olbluchevy@yahoo.com and thanks again......:help:

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

So the trans in the Sub would be a 700R4 then.

You should be able to get an adapter from Advance adapters to make the swap.You would also need the correct extension housing and output shaft for the 700R4 for a 4WD application.You will also have to modify the driveshaft lengths and the trans crossmember.It can be done,but it's not cheap and easy.

It may be better to find a donor truck (matching wheelbase) to swap everything out of if you want the overdrive.Then you can use the trans.TC,driveshafts and all mounting hardware,so it's a direct bolt in.

The BB swap can be done quite easily.There was a few posts on here about it,try a search.There are a few minor things that need to be changed,that's it.

5. bossblu4x4

bossblu4x4 Junior Member
    from oregon

thanks for the help

thanks for the come back but I see what you mean I think that I will stay with wat I got .Some where I read that if you have 6 bolts on your exhaust thaat is true then I'm just going to rebuild the 350 that I have in now..But if it's ok I would like to send you some information on what i plan to do to it sometime if it's ok?... thanks again Michael

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Sure,that would be fine.