1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chevy transmission swap

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by wannalota, Jan 8, 2004.

1. wannalota

wannalota Junior Member

I HAVE A 1982 CHEVY SCOTTSDALE PICKUP, MY QUESTION IS WILL A TRANSMISSION FROM A 1982 CUSTOM DELUXE DIESEL 6.2 450 BOLT UP TO MY 350 ENGINE ? ANY HELP WITH THIS WOULD BE APPRECIATED. WANNALOTA!

2. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Simply put, Yes. I believe the Torque converter would need to be swapped.

3. SNOWPIMP

SNOWPIMP Member

also the shift points in the valve body is different!

4. wannalota

wannalota Junior Member

TRANNY SWAP

COULD YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT SHIFT POINTS ARE AND WHAT THEIR FUNCTION IS? WANNALOTA

5. uglytruk

uglytruk Member

Tranny talk

Chevy (GM) started offering their 4 speed overdrive auto transmissions in 1981(?). It was an extra cost option on gas engines. I'm not sure if they were offered on diesels, at least at first. My observations have been that most trucks (and cars) in the early years had the 1969 vintage Turbo 350. The 4 speeds came in two versions, the light duty, and ironically, more reliable 200R4(4R), and the so called heavy duty 700R4. It really had teething pains the first few years! The 700 was used on Chevy engines, including the 2.8 struggle V6 in the S10. The 200 was used on BOP's and Caddys. Rear drive, of course. The biggest difference in these trannys is that the 4's used a so-called throttle valve cable. It's a crappy system, and very fussy to adjust just right. The TH350 (and TH400) used a vacum actuated modulator valve. GM went back to this system, at least on my wifes '90 Ciera, front drive, with TH440 4sp. But it also has a throttle valve cable. Confused enough? Torque converter bolt circle/pattern may be different, some pickups used a longer tailshaft on the tranny. Major surgery to change that. Shift points are mostly determined by the governor, which is located at the rear of the tranny. An hour to swap that, tailshaft housing has to come off to change the gear, I think. If you have the donor truck nearby, you're a few steps ahead of the game. Little parts that are different can make you nuts. And we're not talking fudge here. Andrew

Last edited: Feb 9, 2004