1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy Tranny Prob

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Lazer Man, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Lazer Man

Lazer Man Senior Member
    from SW Pa.

Today the reverse gear went out in our '94 3500 srw auto tranny. What I want to know is what is the best fix for this tranny ? I've heard of a heavier rear gear available , what's the expert advice from all you experts . Many thanks in advance.

Bob

2. Kurt B.

Kurt B. Junior Member

Interesting question lazer-man - I am no expert but I presume you have a GM -4L80E transmission. I had the same thing happen to three of them over the last ten years. I have read and heard about many other people having the same problem and have often wondering what the story is. This topic has however only received limited response over the years - One tranny shop told me it had something to do with a pressure build-up and they have a relief valve/ fix when rebuilt???? I can tell you this, every time it has happened the tranny shops say it is necessary and wise just to do a complete rebuild. The interesting thing is I have never had a problem with the reverse on a rebuilt 4L80E. All the ones I had and friends of mine had were factory originals when they lost reverse? I hope someone can offer you and me some further insight into this? If your trans was original it served you well.