1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy Torsion Bars

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by northernsweeper, Jan 6, 2012.

1. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

Hey guys! I run a 93 Chevy 1 ton standard cab. Does anyone have any idea how many turns you can turn the front torsion bars, before you have to worry about damaging something else?
  2. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

I know guys who have them cranked all the way up. They have been running it like this for years with no issues?
  3. rusty3506

rusty3506 Junior Member

You should be good at 4 to 5 turns.
  4. contractor078

contractor078 Senior Member

another option is to change the cams that the bars are in. I did that on mine and got a ton of lift with out a lot of work. they were pretty cheap too. Like 125 buck for the pair. truck still handles pretty well. Just need to MAKE SURE you get an alignment when you are done or it will chew up your tires.
  5. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

Crank them all the way up and take it to the alignment shop . Have the camber checked , as this is the geometry affected by the torsion bars . It seems the GM engineers had their thinking caps on when they designed their front ends . My truck , with the bars all the way up also maxed out the Camber adjustment too !

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Before you just start turning away you should check the Z height. Being a 1 ton spec for your truck is 145mm +/- 6mm or 5.7in +/- .23in. 1/2 and 3/4 ton spec is 157mm +/- 6mm or 6.18in +/- .23in. NOTE this is for GMT-400 trucks
  7. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

Thanks guys, your the best. Have a great year!
  8. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Keep in mind if you change the keys for the t-bars that it will be a huge pain if the bars are rusted into the lower control arms
  9. mowinjake

mowinjake Junior Member

I got an 03 half ton I run a 7.5 western pro plow on, I put those leveling keys on, but don't crank them all the way up, makes the front end drive like you are driving a basketball. I then cranked them down half an inch or so and been like that for years as I run bigger wheels with all season tires in the summer so they don't rub the fenders.
  10. mule585

mule585 Member

the local boss dealer (general welding and fab) told me " if its stock go 5 turns and put on timbrens" they do this to every chevy and gmc k series trucks that they put plows on. Pics - before and after