1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy Torsion bar adjustments

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mznkb3, Nov 20, 2006.

1. mznkb3

mznkb3 Junior Member

I know you have heard of this but I am a rookie.

I want to adjust the torsion bars on my 99 Silverado Z-71.

Does anyone have some help for me?

2. rayf268

rayf268 Senior Member

if you know where the adjuster nuts are its easy . just jack up the front end by the frame not the suspension and tighten them up a few turns then lower and remeasure .
    if you don't know where the nuts are just look under your truck you will see two bars running from your control arms the will end at a cross brace there will be a bolt sticking down from there that's the bolt , you want to measure both sides of the front end first and see if theres any difference then turn both the same amount to raise it up a equal amount . but don't go to high it puts more stress on your front end components
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2006
  3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

4-5 turns are what most of the guys are doing.

Regards Mike
  4. rayf268

rayf268 Senior Member

are you trying to get your truck to the recommended hight for your plow or lift it .
  5. mznkb3

mznkb3 Junior Member

I just installed a plow.

I still don't know what the torsion bar looks like? It run from wheel to wheel? across the front end?

6. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

The bar that has the bolts you need to turn is located roughly in the middle of your doors. Do a search on here because i know theres been some pics.

MRUSSELL Member

the torsion bars slide into the lower control arms and run toward the rear of the vehicle the end at aprox. the rear of the front doors if you look up undrt the truck and follow the torsion bars you will see two bolts tha stick down toward the ground go get a 1/2 inch breaker bar with a 3/4 socket on it make sure that when you are turning the bolts that you do the same on both sides hopfully that helps
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Another good tip is to spray some lube on the adjuster bolts before turning them.
  9. scaper27

scaper27 Member

definitly do it while it is in the air and measure before and after. it is very easy and anybody can do it. Don't go too high or you will have front end trouble later. trust me I did it twice and didn't listen