1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy to Ford ?????

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Marek, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Marek

Marek Senior Member

Thinking about tryin a 2011 Chevy with the Dmax, would be a 3500 crew cab . Do these trucks have all the fuel issues that Ford has with the ULSD ? I feel that Ford builds a heavier duty truck but that doesnt do any good when they are always in the shop . Our Fords are getting out of control to keep on the road . Has anyone else switched to a Silverado and what are your thoughts on the two trucks ?

2. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

What exactly are all these fuel issues you are speaking of?

3. Marek

Marek Senior Member

Delamimating tanks, inside of the diesel tanks rusting out, the fuel / water seperater drain plug on my 6.0 was eaten up . Fuel tank filler necks and so on.

4. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Have not heard of any Chevys with those problems. In fact everyone I talk to loves the new Chevys and says the power and noise level in unreal. I have not driven a new one myself so I cant say but I would venture to say its gonna be out of the shop alot less than the Fords. I hear the same thing over and over again with those trucks. Although those Spartan tunes are pretty sweet!

5. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

So far, I havent heard any stories of the such in Duramax fuels systems. Nothing like that has come through the shop. In fact, of all the diesels I've worked on, the later model duramax's seem to take the most abuse with the least care. Most of the clients with these trucks own or work for logging companies and travel 120 plus miles a day into the woods. A few of them even plow their own roads with these trucks and i'm always amazed at the abuse that they'll take. IMO, ford should have never left their old motors behind, the old 7.3 were great motors. That 7.3 was usually bullet proof. Lately i've seen a lot of trouble in fords latest motors. One of the things that really blew my mind was warped heads and bad head bolts, I believe it was on a 6.0. Duramax has also had very few turbo issues, lately in the last six years or so ford turbos have had all kinds of trouble, most from overheating and quick cooldown after. Just a few points, i'm not trying to start a war lol, just answering your question with what i've seen.

6. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

The 2011's should be designed to run on ULSD, so issues should hopefully be little to none.