1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chevy suburban for plowing??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by maverjohn, Jan 21, 2011.

1. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

does anyone know, would a chevy suburban make a good plow truck?
    98-01 2500 with 5.7 up to 7.4 I'd put my boss v up front, all pro and con welcome
  2. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

YES. Before I got my 4 door pick-up, thats what I wanted. I could use it as a plow truck and than more of a family cruiser in the off season. I plowed with an older 1988 Sub back in the day and loved it.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

No different than a truck with a topper
  4. outlaw66

outlaw66 Junior Member

better than a truck with a topper!! you have heat blowing on rear windows! but fin d a 7.4, imo
  5. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

.............Thumbs Up
    Both are also great points!
  6. RMHSR

RMHSR Member

Love plowing with mine. During plow season seems like I don't get to see the wife and kids too often so this way they can all come with me. I even have my wife operating it as a second plow sometimes. The drawbacks I have with it is that it needs more ballast weight. I have six hundred pounds of bag salt in the back and that uses up all of the cargo space. I really could use some more weight but I don't want anything higher than the seat. I have an 8' Western. I am sure it would handle a V. If you don't use the third row seat that would give more options for ballast. I don't have that option.
  7. Zigracer

Zigracer Member

I started with an 89 Bronco and it worked fine. Suburban should do even better.
  8. tds8268

tds8268 Junior Member

Plowed commercially throughout the 80's and 90's always with 3/4 & 1 ton PU's before getting out of it in 02. Hung my 8' Diamond on my 99 1/2 ton Suburban last week and plowed 12 hrs this past week and the truck performed much better than I thought it would. The snow wasn't much, 2 to 3 inches kinda slushy ,but the truck did fine. The plow is a true Diamond from 91 and built like a tank, heavy too. I added trimbrens and had the T-bars turned up 3.5 turns, about 3/4 of an inch in ride height. Truck really doesn't sag any more than my 3/4 tons did with the plow raised. The job I was doing is a very large (120+ stores) Outlet Center near me with some big open areas. I'm sure a 3/4 ton would work even better than my 1/2 ton.

I'm trying to find out from someone who's in the know if the frames (ONLY the frame, noting else) are any stronger, thicker, whatever, on the 3/4 ton vs the 1/2 ton.
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Plowing with a 96 Tahoe this year - 4 door. I love it. One very minor problem is the shovel gets warm in the back seat. Snow sticks to it for a minute....