1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy Silverado 1500 no plow package available?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sixty4, Jul 22, 2014.

1. sixty4

sixty4 Member
    from CT

Hi all I have an older 97 Silverado Z71. I have a Fisher HD plow on this older truck. Today I went looking at a new Silverado 1500 and guy tells me GM will not cover me if a plow is put on? He also went on to say no plow package available for this series? I contacted Chevy via the chat they have and asked this question, no real answer call takers only I guess. They said move up to 2500 series. The other little issue I wanted was side monitors for mirrors, nope not available. Maybe its me but I only do three places when storms hit, I let the younger guys do the rest of my stops with the 3/4 ton we have. I really wanted something less of a work type truck not as high up, as I have a bad hip. Suggestions? Look at something else?
  2. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

Keep the old truck to abuse and buy the new truck to cruise.
  3. sixty4

sixty4 Member
    from CT

I thought about that as well. However then I have to insure another truck register and store it. My daughter moved to upstate NY, a new truck would be best in the colder months to go up in than the wifes little car. Just crazy Chevrolet did something like this (maybe its me)? Going to test drive a Toyota Tundra in morning (as much as I always have been a Chevrolet fan)maybe time to move to another make. Thanks for the reply.
  4. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

You would only need to insure during the winter months. And we all know that fixing older trucks is simpler and cheaper then new. Toyota? Come on now man
  5. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I'd go with a Tundra if it was me but, I have scene quite a few new Chevy and GMCs with 7.5' Fisher HD's and SD's on them in my area. You won't be disappointed with a Tundra.
  6. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Ew...Toyota. A REGULAR CAB 1500 has plow prep optional. I'm almost certain of it.
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

According to the Chevy website you can get the snowplow prep on the 1500 2WT as a $400 upgrade.
  8. sixty4

sixty4 Member
    from CT

Not according to the 2 local dealers I spoke with and Chevrolet Chat on line. I was looking at the Silverado not the WT. Thanks though bought a Tundra today. Even got the blind spot monitors that Chevy does not offer.
  9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Web site must be wrong....

10. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

Absolutely! The regular cab can get the snow plow prep, but not any of the larger cabs.
    Mind you, there is a limit of 500 lbs in plow weight on a 1500, but as long as the dealer does not see a heavier plow on the truck you should not have any problems.
  11. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Pfft...its merely a suggestion. I'd throw a 7'6'' HD plow on there and go.
  12. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Plow prep is available on all trim levels of regular cab 1500 4x4. No other body style. If you want double or crew cab, gotta go to the 2500 for plow prep.
  13. jrvisconti

jrvisconti Junior Member

In a similar situation, have a 97 Silverado Z71 with a 7.5 Fisher HD plow.. during our last storm the mount on frame came off due to rot/rust.

Have a tight driveway and garage so I'm trying to sick with what I currently have - regular cab with a short bed

How did you make out with the Toyota? Still have your old truck?
  14. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

The GM dealer can do almost anything they want regarding your warranty claim, if they like you they can put in a claim and NEVER even mention the truck has a plow on it ... (though the GM District Rep would be not happy) it goes on all the time - some dealers will say if we put the plow on we (that particular dealer) will cover your full warranty ... shop around and find one that will work with you.
  15. DaBomb6988

DaBomb6988 Junior Member

I don't think any manufacturer makes a half ton, with a plow prep, in anything other than a regular cab. And IIRC only Ford and GM even offer plow preps in half-tons.
  16. trevier

trevier Senior Member

only difference between having a plow prep and not having one is the size of the alternator, that's it my friends. I've researched this to death.
  17. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

They know that but that's not the point. If you can't get a truck with plow prep you will void the warranty.
  18. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

Chevy regular cab 1500 is the only one with plow prep available.
  19. kampfitt

kampfitt Junior Member

Right off Chevy build your own
    Reg. Cab Long Box 4wd LT trim
    Snow Plow Prep Package

This available option includes the following features:
    ◾Power feed to accommodate a backup and roof emergency light
    ◾A dependable 170-amp alternator for cold-weather starts
    ◾Forward lamp wiring harness and a provision for a cab roof-mounted lamp or beacon for added visibility
    ◾Under body transfercase shield to help protect the transfercase from debris
    ◾A high-capacity air cleaner and an auxiliary transmission oil cooler
    ◾Heavy Duty front springs

Requires 4WD Regular Cab models
  20. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I can't tell you how many times i've depended on my alternator for starting my truck:laughing: Whoever wrote that doesn't have a clue of things work... This is why the auto industry is where they are today, no body knows how vehicles work anymore, except the mechanics who have to fix them...:mechanic: