1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy Reman Engine Question...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by buckhigh, Mar 12, 2011.

1. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

Hey guys, long story short at 94,000 miles I blew my engine in my 2002 2500hd a month ago. Nobody to blame but me, but to this day I'm still sick to my stomach of the repair bill. Dropped a reman Chevy 6.0l Vortec gasser in it, and it was one pretty penny to pay the dealer:(

Water pump, coolant, oil/filter, serpentine belt, engine mounts, oil pressure sensor & sending unit, spark plugs & wires, cooler lines, and manifolds were all installed brand new during the installation process. Since labor was not going to be extra, I figured at almost 100k miles; I might as well spend the extra now in parts than an additional parts & labor down the road. Well here's my problem...at warm idle the truck shakes pretty bad. IT DID NOT DO THIS WITH MY ORIGINAL STOCK ENGINE. Why now? My first visit back to the dealer, the service manager claimed my injectors are clogged. I told him thats impossible, cause I'm pretty good about running injector cleaner/water remover/octane booster once a month. He then claimed I ruined the injector seals because of running those additives. He recommended me running a full tank of high octane and then call him back to discuss the status. Well, Cleveland just had a good foot of snow a day ago, and I went through a whole tank of 92 octane and the truck seems like it shakes even worse now. Almost to the point of it wanting to stall. The idle stays constant at all times, just shakes really bad (rough idle).

The reman has a 100k miles warranty but only good at the Chevy dealer of install. I left 3 messages for the service manager to call me back and he has yet responded. Any ideas of why the truck might be idling rough? Thanks for reading and your responses!

2. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

A month prior to the install, a new oem fuel filter was installed...

3. nepagearjammer

nepagearjammer Member
    from nepa

Was it a gm crate motor(goodwrench)? if so they are waranteed at any gm dealer(don't let this cat BS you. If they piss you off, start calling gm's customer service...make them tired of hearing from you. trust me, when regional gm reps start calling the owner of the dealership as they say sh** rolls down hill. Good luck!!!

4. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

The service manager is obviously an idiot. I would ask another dealer to look at it.

5. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like a vacuum leak. Grab a can of carb clean and spray around the intake with it running and see if the idle goes up. No check engine light? If it was spark or fuel related you would probably get a light

6. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Pop the hood at night where is nice and dark, and see if you see any spark leaking from the ignition system. Spark plug wires etc. It's not hard to damage those parts in an engine swap.

7. nepagearjammer

nepagearjammer Member
    from nepa

+1 on the vacuum leak...maybe a tight valve. does the idle speed fluctuate w/ warm or steady? Remember the squeakiest wheel gets the most grease!!!

just re-read your post earlier..,.def. sounds like a vac. leak..no codes..if spark/fuel you would get a S.E.S. light

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  8. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

I called another dealer locally to pick his brain about my issue. He wants $95 to diagnose the problem and will not honor any parts/labor if its engine or installation problem related. He recommends me going to back to dealer of purchase and b!tch.

I asked the service manager prior to agreeing on the work, and he callled this engine a long block rebuilt. Not a crate engine. It is a OEM GM rebuilt. Everything is brand new except the engine block.

9. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

Throttle body and MAF is spotless. No engine light.

10. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NO spray the carb clean around the OUTSIDE of the intake manifold (on the TOP of the motor under the Vortec plastic cover) to check for a leak. If there is a leak the carb clean will get SUCKED into the motor and cause the idle to increase

11. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

It does idle a few RPM's higher when cold, but eventually settles at 500-600 RPM's when normal operating temps have been reached. No erratic idle when running temps have been reached also. But when I look over at the passenger seat, its shaking so bad it could mix a gallon of paint. I can even feel the vibration under the floor board when sitting at a red light, and see the hood/doors shake real bad when I open them.

I did notice another thing different about the reman and the original. My original engines oil pressure never dropped below 40# and over 60#'s. The reman drops to 32# and never goes over 42#'s. Dealer claims reman oil pressure is normal?

12. nepagearjammer

nepagearjammer Member
    from nepa

long block= re-manned block rotating assembly, remanned heads...reusing your oil pan , valve covers, intake manifold ect. if a gm part they must cover it..but I can tell you he's going to say it's anything other than the stuff he did. Don't back off one bit!!!!

oil psi sounds low for a new engine... should push at least 50 psi w/ cold.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  13. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

Ok. Going out to the garage here shortly to check for ignition spark and intake leak. But remember, I DID NOT HAVE THIS ROUGH IDLE WITH MY OEM ENGINE. This all began the day I picked it up. I asked the mechanic about the shaking and he told me to quit being paranoid and drive it hard. An ignition issue I understand can go wrong during removing off old and installing on new. But what could have gone wrong during the swap process to give me an intake leak?

14. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

Oh trust me I wont back down. I already made the $6200 phone call to the service manager on Friday. Waiting for him to call me back. Monday should get interesting.

15. nepagearjammer

nepagearjammer Member
    from nepa

quit being paranoid???? easy to say when its not your dime!!!! drive it hard??? what the hell kind of dealership is this? I was a GM tech for 10 yrs. and would have gotten ripped if I said something like that to a customer!!!!

16. NICHOLS LANDSCA

If it wasn't sealed correctly, viola vac leak

17. nepagearjammer

nepagearjammer Member
    from nepa

reman oil pressure??? sounds like the engine is a little loose. too loose for 6200. beans!!

18. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

Thank you for explaining. I'm going to let the truck sit until Monday morning. I don't want to touch a thing to give them an excuse to deny any warranty to fixing this problem.

This will be last time I deal with this dealer upon correcting this issue. If its a GM warranty issue, they seem quick to wanting to fix it. But when its a dealer install issue, my problems are always put on the back burner. I'll be sitting in the dealer lot 7am sharp monday morning.

19. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

At cold start the reman oil pressure is at 42#'s and really pushing the gas the pressure will never raise higher than 42. At warm start or sitting at a red light, the oil pressure is at 32-35#'s. Is this not normal? My stock engine was ALWAYS between the range 40-60's.

20. nepagearjammer

nepagearjammer Member
    from nepa

cause warranty work= getting paid from GM no matter how many parts they throw @ a problem, plus they can BS some extra diagnosis time.

they only get paid once for the install from you.