1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy recall blower module

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by NickT, Jul 18, 2011.

1. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Just opened a recall letter from chevy today . After all the mumbo jumbo it basically says that the blower motor for the heating system may not function on certain settings or not at all due to the terminals for the resistor module being corroded. They will reimburse if the repair has been made
    Just so happens mine only works on the high setting.
  2. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

years of trucks?
  3. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Oh yeah sorry I have an 04. The letter doesn't state which other model years are affected
  4. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

some of our older trucks have the same issue! if you look at how the resistors are welded in I have to say it's a hack job! No wonder they fail!
  5. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

That has been an issue for some time now. I'm suprised it is a recall on some vehicles. My father's Trailblazer needs one right now.
  6. NickT

NickT Senior Member

According to chevy moisture is getting into
    The fresh intake plenum and contact the module,causing it to overheat

They've had a lot of complaints or something, at least they want to make it right. No complaints here I've always liked the chevy's, seems like its always the little stupid things that break.
  7. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Those have been a problem forever. Im surprised they are recalling it as its a non safety related issue.
  8. 06Sierra

from Maine

I got a letter yesterday for my Wife's 04 Yukon. I did replace an actuator a couple years ago, not the resistor though. The letter said it is covered for 10 years. I wonder if there are any other years included???
  9. tuna

tuna Senior Member

Mine just started acting up yesterday,blower works but no air comes out the vents unless I play with it for a while and then it just comes out on high.Is this a symptom of the BMR?
  10. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

the blower running but not going through the vents sounds more like a vacuum line not actuating the control ducts. mine does that occasionally when going from hot to cold. the only running on high could be or could just be your switch panel is bad...
  11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

No letter for me, but I replaced my 05 HD and my wifes 03 Tahoe already.
  12. whitextreme

whitextreme Junior Member

Running on high means the resistor under the dash is bad. The high setting has a separate fuse it doesn't run through the resistor.
  13. GM_Fan40

GM_Fan40 Member

Where can i find the fuse for the the high setting? Is it in the fuse panel? I have an 05 sierra.and the blower doesnt work on high but all the other settings work.
  14. chevyman83

chevyman83 Member

There is no separate fuse for a particular fan speed. I would guess you have a bad blower motor module.
  15. 06Sierra

from Maine

If I remember correctly, high speed by passes the resistor and runs directly through a relay.
  16. NickT

NickT Senior Member

If you can't find your answer on plow site try www.silveradosierra.com I've been there a few times lots of info
  17. 06Sierra

from Maine

Found this on fullsizechevy.com. Same truck as yours and this is what he found.

Hey everyone. I finally found the culprit. There is a large 40amp fuse in the under hood fuse box that had blown. At first glance it appeared to be good, only after I removed the fuse and om'd it out did I discover it to be bad. A simple $3 part was the problem. Everything works as it should, I really appreciate all of your responses and suggestions, that is why I keep coming to this web site for info. We'll catch up later.... Thank you
  18. GM_Fan40

GM_Fan40 Member

Sweet! Ill have to check it out. Thanks for all the replies!
  19. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

It isn't a recall, it's a special coverage that GM has offered on a component that has a known issue. The following vehicles are covered:

2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban Tahoe

2003-2007 Chevrolet Silverado

2003-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

2003-2007 GMC Sierra

Equipped with Manual HVAC (CJ3) or Heavy Duty Heater (C42)

Yes, this is a manufacturer standing behind the product as they have many times (injectors, instrument clusters, etc). I've had somewhere between 20 and 30 Fords and most of them have needed the blower motor resistor replaced. I don't blame anyone: parts fail.

Anyway, that's the scoop.
  20. GM_Fan40

GM_Fan40 Member

Whelp i tried swapping the fuses out, and it did nothing.. :-(