1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chevy rear ends!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by the new boss 92, Jan 1, 2009.

1. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i have a 92 chevy short bed with both diffs open. my buddie has a 94 gmc 1500 and has an eaton limited slip in it. he claims both tires spin when he goes around a coner but doesnt go sideway. i have an open rear end and my rear end is just as good as his. why does a new open rear end keep up with my buddies with an eaton limited slip? both rear ends being brand new!!

2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

:dizzy: I am confused.

is new rear axle you put? brand new or you get from junkyard?

maybe you have good tires so it grip good.

Maybe buddy's gm 1500 have crap tires or it worn out or he have no weight in bed. If he have truck with long bed then it heavy than your chevy.

3. the new boss 92

no he just put a brand new eaton limited slip in the rear of his truck and mine has the original open diff. he says his is better, but i think they are the same becasue in the snow i can out slide him byfar and he has a better set up? are limited slips junk compared to lockers?

4. Milwaukee

limited slip are almost similar to locker but it let slip when turn tight.

but locker are more different from limited slip it stay all times no slip.

You will see when you try push heavy snow but his truck could push little better because rear tires are work together but your would be 1 side spin and 1 side nothing.

limited slip do wear out when it get old or you keep spin. My friend's F250 have limited slip but it broke because it spin all times so it gave up and stop work.

Locker won't wear out but it wear out tires when try make tight turn.

5. the new boss 92

ahh i see i know they make different types of limited slips. clutch packs or spring loaded?

6. Onebadbowtie86

Onebadbowtie86 Senior Member

i have an 03 gmc sierra with the locking diff in it, and there is NO comparison to a limited slip, the limited slip might as well be open. on my last plow truck (just sold it this year) it came with a limited slip, it was a 96 1/2 ton regular cab short box chevy, and the limited slip sucked in it. i replaced the differential in it with a locking diff out of an of chevy i bought off ebay, and there was a huge difference! i will never own an open diff vehicle again! if you want traction get a locker!

7. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

an open diff is the lowest traction available followed by a limited slip then by ez locks then by full locker then full spool, it is possible that your friends limited slip was not functioning correctly therefore showing no difference, ie.. wrong gear oil, worn discs or springs

8. the new boss 92

ah i see, how ofen are you supposed to change the oil in a new limited slip set up?

9. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

I don't know the scheduled maintinence for the axles they are all roughly the same. I do know you have to use a gear oil specially made for limited slips on limited slips though.

10. Milwaukee

all I know that ford rear axle with limited slip require friction modifier for limited slip

11. KentuckyPlow

KentuckyPlow Member

Is it just me or are these posts hard to understand?
    No offense, but maybe a little proofreading before posting.

12. grosser397

grosser397 Senior Member

hey what does my 2004 2500HD with 4.10 rear gears have?

13. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Call a gm dealer with your vin#. They can give you a list of everything your truck has.. These posts are really hard to understand.. I cant even understand what the OP's question is? If your buddy has a WORKING limited slip and doesnt go sideways (on a snowy road) while spinning, hes full of ****.. Anytime you break loose both rear tires your rear end is losing any kind of traction it once had.. In snow i doubt your going to see much diffence between limited slip and an open differential, as if one tire is on ice, the other probably is too, and its not going to matter or not if you have two or one spinning. Open differentials are a lot safer to drive with in the winter with an unexperienced driver, or one that doesnt know how the truck will react to spinning the rear tires.. I have the G80 locker in my 2500 and while it does help out in the snow it does nothing on any ice as traction is still barely anything.

14. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

Teeth?

We're not psychic- we can't tell what you have.

15. Milwaukee

check for tag on rear axle it near pumpkin.

the new boss 92
    you could test his limited slip by have him hook stump or big tree and try pull you would see if both tires are spin.

16. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

Check the RPO code sheet in your glove box. If you have the code G80 listed you have a locker. If not you have an open dif. It will be either locker or open. You will not find many chev/gmc trucks with a limited slip since the factory option is a locker. The auto trac, I think, is the only truck with a limited slip available as an option. The locker is only available on the rear axle.

17. Doom & Gloom

Doom & Gloom Senior Member

I have the 05HD with the 4.10's and I changed the fluid @ 30,000 miles per dealer recommendations to keep up on warranty. I used royal purple 75w90.