1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy Question,Help!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by beungood, Feb 4, 2005.

1. beungood

beungood Member

I have a chance to pick up an 8 foot Western Ultrmount with everything included for $2300. It has been used twice and mounted on a 2001 Checy SilveradoHD 2500 CC. I have a 2001 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Allison CC. I went to the ?western Quick Match and it says my axles are 4800 and it matched me with a 7 1/2 ' Ultramount and a few others. The door sticker lists my front end as 4950lbs. why dont they match up and can I run this 8 footer on my truck? Im thinking of doing driveways and parking lots.

JAck

2. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I really don't know why they don't match up but Western only lists a 7.5' plow cause you have the diesel engine which consumes alot of your payload for the front axle. In other words Western is just covering their butt. If it were me, I'd go ahead and put that 8' plow on that truck. You will be very pleased with the ultra mount and the price seems good to me.

3. Robo

Robo Senior Member

Put the 8 footer on it. Really the weight shouldn't be much difference :nod:

4. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

yeah, 8' no problem, if anything I would go bigger.around here 8' is common on half tons.Been there, done that, don't worry about it.

5. TLC Ken

TLC Ken Member

that's a good price. I wouldn't worry about the weight, it can't be too much more than a 7.5 footer. Even if your tires rub a little, there are still Timbrens you could install, and you can crank up the torsion bars.

6. DJL

DJL Senior Member

I believe Western doesn't make the recommendation because they assume a worst case scenario. In other words, you are going to have the bed loaded with two tons of stone, you are going to have 5 passengers that each weight over 200 pounds. If this was the case, then yes, you couldn't/shouldn't mount the 8.

IMO, your best bet would be to weigh your truck with you, your standard carryon (i.e. toolboxes, briefcases), etc. Then figure out if you come in or under the weight.

7. beungood

beungood Member

Follow up

<<Western doesn't make the recommendation because they assume a worst case scenario. In other words, you are going to have the bed loaded with two tons of stone, you are going to have 5 passengers that each weight over 200 pounds. If this was the case, then yes, you couldn't/shouldn't mount the 8.

IMO, your best bet would be to weigh your truck with you, your standard carryon (i.e. toolboxes, briefcases), etc. Then figure out if you come in or under the weight./>>>

The thing that confuses me is that I had a chance to buy a MM2 Fisher that was a drug seisure and missing a few things,I talked with the guy who was selling it for us gave him my numbers and he said I could push it that he checked online and there wouldnt be an issue. It was an 8 footer. He said he threw one on a truck like mine and it didnt really sink. A buddy with the same truck advised me to crank the bars 4 turns.

as far as weight goes I don't think i'll be carrying 5 guys and 2 tons of stone,maybe a fat chick or two and a few sandwiches..

My truck has a limited slip rear end and 265 16 Master craft tires. Will they be alright? Hoiw much Ballast would you guys use?

I gotta thank you guys for the quick replies, they really set me at ease. I got kind of worried about seeing it rated for 7.5 feet. I looked underneath and everything seems beefy compared to trucks ive had in the past. The drive shaft has a huge diameter and the front end parts seem pretty hefty. Im probably going to go with this if I can get over and get it.

Stay safe!

8. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

That truck is about as tough as they come.....hang what ever you want on the front. I have an 02 with a 6.0 RC and haven't been able to kill it yet....God knows I've tried. My bars are cranked 11 turns with a 9'2 Boss V, it had a 9' fisher the two previous years. I haven't had a problem....(other then BOSS didn't build that plow to plow roads) make sure you grease your frontend!!!! The biggest problem I had with the truck was morons using it when it had a sander in it, you could load the truck and come off the scale at 13,500 and the truck didnt care but when someone crashes the sidewall on a curb with that weight ya got a slight problem. Maintain it regularly and sleep good at night.
    Casey