1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy plow trucks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chevytruck85, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Chevytruck85

Chevytruck85 Senior Member

I just got done redoing a 1985 chevy pick up with a 7.5 fisher anybody else out there got a nice chevy plow truck? what do u think?

2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I have a 1976 K20 flatbed with a Blizzard 810 and 250 gallon stainless tank de-icer setup. I had the body all redone 3 years ago. Looks just like new now.

3. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Some of those old chevys were tuff old trucks

4. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

This is a great post...

I run a small fleet of mid to late 80's GMC K2500's and you cant kill them. Leaf springs, straight front axles, there built like brick $#@*houses!!! Mechanical and body parts are plentiful and they are extremely easy to work on with a minimum of specialty tools and computer diagnostic equipment, unlike the stuff built today. I run them with Western 7.5 and 8 foot PRO Series conventional mount plows, and build custom tailgates out of 2" square (hitch receiver) 1/4" tube that hold Meyers 36000 mini-spreaders on the drivers side and fold out ramps (like the ones on landscape trailers) on the other side so that I can run my snowblowers and hand salt spreaders up into the bed with no fuss. I beef up the electrical system with a factory auxiliary battery tray and drop in two Optima Red Top batteries with some heavy duty cables (at first the combination of plows lights, and Meyer's mini spreaders gave me a few problems with just single battery setups) and they run forever. I thought about putting a few sets of front and rear timbrens in some of them , but I haven't yet because my guys tell me they just don't need them.

Anybody else have any late 80's with custom mods?
    Show us what ya' got....

5. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

We don't have anything with custom mods but the only Chev we have is a 2000 3500 4x4 454 with 9 foot Diamond plow and dump body with v-box sander. Good truck for us.

Here is pic of it without plow on it, I thought I had one with it but no.

Chev 1 ton.jpg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2004
  6. btrussell

btrussell Member

I've got an 89 K1500 and love it. Haven't had many problems with it and its paid for itself hulling crabs and pulling trees. I bought a 7.5 western pro plow with ultra mount and like it so far but really havent used it much. Maybe ill get a pic of it sometime.
    Brian

7. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

Chevy trucks are the best! Here is two of my trucks:

105-0536_IMG.JPG

Cheby.JPG

8. Iowa

Iowa Senior Member
    from Iowa

1987 Chevy.

7.5 Western Pro.[​IMG]

9. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

I agree...old chevy's are amazing trucks in my opinion. I recently bought an '83 chevy k10 shortbed with a 7'6" fisher plow...I tried it out once so far (my first time plowing) and it was a blast. It even sounds like a muscle car with the 350 in there. Also, the front end only drops a quarter inch with the plow fully raised! I love it!