1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chevy pickup vibration.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by plummermark2002, Mar 19, 2004.

1. plummermark2002

plummermark2002 Member

I have a 1982 chevy 3/4 ton pickup which i just changed the transmission from a th350 to a th400 and i am getting some vibration from either the tranny or the drive shaft i'm not sure which, my question is when you bolt the torque converter to the flexplate, does it matter which relative position it is bolted on ? I noticed that there is a balancing weight on the torque converter, it's a 3 bolt pattern, so there would be 3 possible positions that it could bolt on. can anyone help me on this one? plummermark!
  2. Dan S.

Dan S. Member

That should not matter, but you should check and see if the flex plate for the TH400 is the same as the TH350, if you had a balance problem with your flex plate / converter combination it would vibrate when ever the engine is running not just when your moving.
  3. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

The tourqe converter is balanced by the weight that is attached to it so any mounting position is acceptable for it.

Is your vibration all of the time?
    Driving down the road?
    In reverse?
    Road speed related (like a tire or drive shaft)?
  4. plummermark2002

plummermark2002 Member

hey, guys i think i may have solved the vibration problem on my truck, my radiator was leaking so i changed it and also i changed the clutch fan, and all the sudden the vibration is gone, think it's safe to say that the fan was the cause of the vibration?thank's for the help. plummermark2002.