1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy Pickup - Computer Buzz/Squeal???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BigRedBarn, May 27, 2003.

1. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

Well, it had to happen… the first service visit for my new truck (2003 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD). I don’t drive it all that much, as I use it mainly for snowplowing and hauling/towing and the mileage is crappy (9.98 MPG on the last fill up of the 34 gallon tank… yikes!!!). But, I had something to drop off something at my Brother’s house, and I like to drive it once a week to keep the batteries charged (it has 2). That’s when “IT” happened.

I turned on the key to start the truck and this buzz/squeal noise started up. It wasn’t all that loud, but loud enough to annoy, and coming from inside the dash somewhere. I walked around to the front, opened the hood, but the sound was for sure in the dash. When the engine starter was engaged, it stopped, but started again when the truck was running. I thought it was a/c pressure being released through the orifice in the a/c system or something. But, it didn’t stop, it just kept on buzzing/squealing.

So, I turned off the truck engine. IT KEPT BUZZING/SQUEALING. (I don’t know how to describe the noise as anything but a combination of a buzz and a squeal.)

So, I drove it home and started looking in the owner’s manual for what fuse to pull. I didn’t want to run down the battery as after 1 hour it was still buzzing. That means the 20-minute run-down protection circuit wasn’t turning it off. I didn’t find any fuse that made sense to pull.

By the way, the radio wasn’t working, either. The radio display worked fine. I could install/remove a CD into/from the radio. But, no sound came out. Also, some of the exterior lights were out. One front daytime running light wasn’t lit. One brake light didn’t work. Some other weird electric items weren’t working or worked improperly. It was just all too Twilight Zone for me.

So, I called the dealer and they said to bring it in and they would disconnect the batteries to prevent them from being run down if they weren’t able to work on it right away. This was late afternoon. I just about lost it having to listen to that noise for the 30 mile trip to the dealer (I bought it at a rural dealer with very low overhead and fantastic prices). The service manager went to look at it and just sort of had this slack-jawed look to him when he got out after trying some things. He didn’t say anything, just shook his head and muttered something about “that’s a new one.”

Next morning at 9:35 the dealer called and said the truck was ready. So, I went out and picked it up.

Guess what they said the problem was? Would you believe they said “it was the computer?” The computer was buzzing. Huh??? I don’t know how many computers there are in this truck, or where they are. But, the dealer reprogrammed the computer and got it fixed. None of the lights were burned out, as they checked them all, and I did too when I got home.

So far so good.

So, anyway, I’m very limited in my electrical knowledge in general. I have no idea how a computer could make a buzzing noise, much less one that loud. Can I ask if anyone has any thoughts about this out there? And, please, no “Buy a Dodge” or “Buy a Ford” or “Buy a ricer truck” advice. I can get that from friends, neighbors, co-workers and family members.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

There is not much inside a computer that will buzz.It was probably a relay,solenoid,or something that the computer controls that was buzzing.At least they fixed it,pretty quickly too.