1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy owners w/ cracked frames i need your help!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PetalsandPines, Feb 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines Senior Member

You may have saw my post regarding my 2007 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually / Diesel 4x4 with an 810 blizzard plow where the frame cracked right by the Shock Towers as documented on this website by other threads.... but I need your help now....It seems that this keeps being swept under the rug by gm reps all over and I have just contacted my insurance company that needs any and all supporting documentation from other vehicle owners to solidify this claim and expose the truth. My frame rails are cracked 3/4 the way through on both sides of the truck in the same spot. My chevy dealer has given me the runaround, the gm rep gave the chevy dealer the run around.....a lawsuit will take too long considering this is my main vehicle and the truck only has 58,000 miles on it with a balance due of $19,000 +++......The claims dept wants to see my vehicle in the next two days and the rep from the insurance company told me to get as much documentation as possible as this may open a big can of worms. I am so glad we noticed this prior to cracking all the way through and me getting killed on the interstate.....Please help me blow the cover on this!!! I understand some people may say gusset it or slap some plates on it...but come on now its only a 2007!! If you noticed the 2011 frames have been redesigned and this trouble area no longer exists...please only people with the classic body style. (Dont know how long this type of setup has been used) Respectfully, Brian

PLEASE POST PICTURES!!!!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  2. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

Contact B&B. He seems to know a lot about this problem. He's the guy that has been helping us out by fabricating the gusset plates for different frame styles.

3. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Get over it and just fix the thing. The only time it happens is if there are no gussets and you are abusing the truck. Meaning, overloading it, stacking snow, and using it like a bull dozer. I have more miles then you do on my 06. I put gussets on it my second year plowing to CMA, but with the way I use it it probably wouldn't have broken. Also I wish you luck because if they weigh your front axle with the plow on I guarantee you'll be over the FAWR.

4. PetalsandPines

Seriously???

Are you ignorant??? Seriously???

Read my location...Buffalo NY.....not east central PA
    Our first snowfall of the season was 41" of heavy lake effect snow in 24 hours.....please dont tell me how to plow....I've been doing it for 20 years and havent had a truck EVER do this, the frame is tweaked sideways and I'm not going to deal with steering components going bad every year....Its a 3500 Dump Truck for God's sake.....if i wanted to hear crap...then i would have put a thousand pound plow on a chevy 1500....Its a $42,000 truck...this should not happen...PERIOD.

5. PetalsandPines

Anyone got some 2x4's and some baling wire...i'll throw a quick fix on it......come on now be serious.

6. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I'm with you !!! I have a 99 Gmc,, 1 Ton duelley with a 6.5 diesel that has 105,000 I had problems with the frame cracking, I think the first time was about 4 years ago...I have plated it and had issues again this year ,,, Put a longer and heavier plate hopefully that will take care of it... I didn't see the posts about the gussets until after the last repair.... If I get through this winter without anymore problems I will gusset it before next winter.
    Yes I do work the truck.. BUT I don't beat on it,, I plow period.....I would think that for as long as trucks have been built they should have it figured out by now how to build a dependable truck.... :realmad: I could go on about the issues I have had with the 6.5 but that is another post that I am sure has been discussed many times...
    Good luck with whatever happens with your frame issues.. I only wish that there was a recall on thers years ago !!!!

7. PetalsandPines

Thanks

Thanks man.....I too just read about the gussets after the frame cracked...its pretty sad that my backup truck a 1997 Ford-F350 with a meyer plow outlasted an 04 Chevy 8.1 3500 dually and the 07.. Ride in that ford and you know you're in a solid truck....Chevy I might as well sit back grab a latte and pet a shitzu with a ribbon its hair

8. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I too retired an older truck that I wish now I fixed up and kept.... I had a "86" Chev K-30 I plowed more and hauled more with that truck Than my 99 will ever do !!I sold it because the cab was rustin away I only wish now I had put a new cab on it !!! The last thing I ever worried about was the frame cracking ussmileyflag

Thats when they made a truck a truck.... Now they all seem to be Sissy Wanna be trucks xysport Pass me a Latte !!!

9. chris694205

chris694205 Senior Member

i own 2 97s and one 03 and i keep checking for the frame cracks.. but im going to be putting the gussets on this week or next depending on time.. My mechanic told me its becuase the frame rusts from the inside out, becuase there are no drains in the frame?

10. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Your mechanic is an idiot

11. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Take it to a reputable frame shop, they'll push it back together, weld it, then plate it. Good to go. I just went through this a couple months ago with my 2005 F350 (yes, Fords crack frames too believe it or not!), it only cost me $300 including plating the other side as well as a preventative measure, and it was back on the road plowing the next day. Time is money, screw your GM dealer, get your truck fixed and back on the road. What's your time worth, and how long will it take to make back the few hundred dollars to fix the truck versus chasing your tail with GM. Thumbs Up

12. NICHOLS LANDSCA

You won't win the fight with GM. Did the frame break, yes were you over fawr yes. You loose

13. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

When I was doing research on this problem, I compiled a bunch of responses by B&B. He seems to have a lot of knowledge about Chevys and this particular problem. I did this mod to my 96 Tahoe and find comfort in knowing that B&B has never seem a frame with the gussets develop a crack.

Here are the comments:

Best to take an offense rather than a defense in this instance. Saves a ton of cash later and once they're broke in two they're never the same afterward.

With good fabrication skills it can be repaired. But they're a pain when they're broke on the inboard side.

Which is why I've been touting it for a while now...add the gussets in the first place and none of it is an issue. I've yet to see one break at the control arm mount with the gussets installed. Takes an hour and a half's worth of work to avoid the issue entirely in the first place.

And yes, GM has known of the issue for a long time.

Yes that is the upper control arm mount where it attaches to the frame and thats not the first one I've seen broken like that either. I've fixed several '88-'98 OBS trucks with the same problem. And so far I've seen two of the '01-up HD's the same way. One was a '01 extended cab with an 8.2 Boss V and the other was an '04 reg cab with an 8 ft Boss straight blade with wings. Some guys might not know it but GM added a small triangle gusset to this area as extra support so I'm sure their well aware of the problem (not that they'll admit to it) The dumb part of it though is that they only seem to add the gusset to the 3500 cab and chassis and the 2500,3500 crew cabs. At least that's the only models I've found them on so far. If you look at the second pic on the right, you can see the extra triangle gusset at the connection point between the frame rail and the upper control arm mount. That's right where they alway seem to break on trucks that don't have the extra gusset. GM need's to step up to the plate and put the gussets on all the chassis's regardless of cab configuration or at the very least include them in the plow prep package.

Good deal Mark, the frame cracking problem is much more common than most guys with these trucks realize...as I've fixed many, and seen many broken that the owners didn't even know it...yet! I'm surprised their isn't more guys on here that have had frame problems.. IMO, this is a very important mod to do to these trucks.

I'm sure you have your fair share of these under your belt too. ...Have you ever seen a truck WITH the gusset's crack/break there? I've seen many break, but never one with the gussets...factory or add on. Your thoughts?

Basically the same thing that makes them break behind the upper C arm mount.. the weight of the plow trying to bow or "arch" the frame..and a spreader or ballast near the tailgate, or a rear plow just add's to the arching force..since it's now trying to arch it from BOTH ends. They break behind the cab since it's the next weakest point next to the C-arm mounting point plus it's not in a boxed section of the frame, it's in the section that's just C channeled. It's also an excellent spot to add the 1/4" strap you mentioned before (like the older Ford C+C used), as it's easy to remove the bed for access to the top of the frame.

I've also seen a couple 88-98's break from the bottom up...and I couldn't believe it the first time I saw one. And as far as I can see it's due to the twisting and flexing that most any truck would endure in it's use, and I think the extra weight of the plow just compounds the stress more than a truck without a plow would not see. I did go over all this one time with an engineer friend of mine, and after I gave him all the frame and weight specs on the trucks and plows, and what type of use they were exposed to, he pretty much agreed that it could in fact cause the cracking issue from the bottom up..

Have you ever tried adding a gusset to all 4 upper and lower C-arm brackets to try and distribute the stress over a larger area by getting it off the weld points at the frame/C-arm connections? I've haven't done it yet but I think it would help..I don't think it's the ultimate answer but I think it would be a benefit without to much time or expense involved.

Its due to the fact that the upper rear C-arm mounting location is the most critically stressed point on the entire front frame section when a plow is added. And is why when the trucks DID come with the gussets as factory equipped, thats the only location GM placed them...and their were no breakage issues on those frames in any other locations...or on frames that owners have had the gussets added to. Sure you can add all the extra gussets you want if your a belt and suspenders kinda guy, but the upper rear is the only place that their actually needed to prevent breakage.

14. PetalsandPines

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the information.

15. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

As already stated. Your FAWR is 4800lbs, the plow weighs 1000lbs+ which means you were 300+lbs over the FAWR (the way I figure it). I don't believe there is really a problem until the trucks are over weight. At that point though it isn't GM's fault and that is a chance owners are taking.

Bring your truck to a frame shop, have them weld it up and gusset it. It will be just fine.

16. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Unless the truck is over weight.

17. NICHOLS LANDSCA

I bet he's more than 300lbs over, it has a dump body on it and it's a diesel. Think about this... if the truck started life as a pickup it's only good for 11,400gvw if it's a cab and chassis it's 12,000gvw all the while the front is only rated at 4800lbs. The truck EMPTY without the plow is probably close to 8000lbs now hang 1000lbs off the front even with the 900lbs in the back of the truck I bet he's 6-700lbs over

18. PetalsandPines

Ok ...lets all drop it now....you guys are right....Right??? I hope Karma slaps you in the face when something out of your control happens and you see your hard work and $$$$ go down the drain with no recourse.....Bottom line....Chevy should not have a plow prep package, Plows should not be allowed on trucks and if they do it should only be for personal use and max. 3 inches of fluffy snow. And all the plow companies that create those plows and sponsor this site should just cheapen the products to conform to a cheaply built and poorly designed vehicle.....But just know something.....The dealers know about this problem because all the body shop managers I talked to today said they have either seen this before or have personally heard of it..... Oh by the way those buying the new trucks with the "urea" emission controls...God love ya, you got a big issue on your hands according to the largest chevy dealer here. ussmileyflag buy AMerican!!

19. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

Urea is another bag of worms, I really don't know if I'll buy another diesel with all the emissions that are on the new ones. As far as your frame, I wouldn't waste my time with the dealer because it probably won't get you anywhere and just cause alot of unwanted stress. Take it to a welder and have them weld the frame back together, gusset it and plate the frame so it won't cause more problems. It shouldn't cost that much and it will be stronger then before.

20. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I'm pretty sure that the plow prep package wasn't offered with the diesel in '07. "Should" the frame crack? No frame "should" crack, but it also shouldn't be carrying more weight than it was meant to. I also think it would be interesting to see if there's a correltation between plow brands and the cracks. Nobody ever mentions the possiblity that it may have something to do with the way the plow is mounted to the frame and where/how it stresses the truck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.