1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy Overheating

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Snowman19, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Snowman19

Snowman19 Senior Member

My 01' Chevy 2500HD 8.1L/Allison is overheating when the plow is on. I know this has been discussed before, I have read all the threads and most of them are all 6.0L engines, whats the fix for a 8.1L any imput is greatly appreciated!!! THANKS

2. 353628

353628 Junior Member

Fan Clucth

You probably read this on one of the other posts, but if not, maybe it will help. Does your truck have the heavy duty fan clutch - I just put a new plow on my truck, since the truck didn't have the heavy duty fan clutch I figured I would have to have one. My last truck a 2500 HD came with the plow package so that had it from the factory, never had any trouble with that overheating with the plow on no matter how warm it was outside. the new truck overheated right away, had the clutch changed and now no problems. If you have a HD clutch maybe it went bad.

3. Bowlerdude

Bowlerdude Junior Member

I will confirm that my 04 2500HD with Plow Prep had the overheating problem as well. Apparently my truck had either a defective fan/clutch or when the truck was built the factory workers installed the wrong one. Either way I took the truck to the dealer and the problem was taken care of, luckly under warranty.

John