1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy or GMC 2500

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ocutter73, Jul 30, 2011.

1. ocutter73

ocutter73 Junior Member
    from jersey

I posted here a while ago asking for advice on what series would work for my western 8.5' plow. I narrowed down the field to the 4x4 2500 series and now finding that different engine sizes dictate price. I was told that a 6.0L would be great. What about a lesser size? How small is too small before I get stuck with a mountain of snow to push. Thanks.

2. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

What years are you looking at? 2001 and up 2500's came with 6.0l, 6.6l and 8.1l? IMO the 6.0l have more than enough power and is the smallest engine size. So did that answer your question?

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Any 3/4 ton truck will push that blade fine

4. ocutter73

ocutter73 Junior Member
    from jersey

Vegaman - I was actually on the phone with a guy who didnt list the engine size in his ad. Hes selling a 2005 4x4 for his brother. He stated that he wasnt sure of the size, probably a small 8 but def not a 6L. I was just curious what affect that would have on pushing. But as COR states any 3/4 ton would push fine than I will take that into consideration. Just wanted to make sure that it had enough balls to last during big storms.

5. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Well, 2005 2500HD smallest motor was a 6.0l.Most of the trucks seen on here have the 6.0l or 6.6l.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011