1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy NP 246 vs. the NP 243 or NP241??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by carkey351, Nov 4, 2010.

1. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

Has anyone replaced a NP 246 with a different transfer case? My NP 246 is on it's last leg and I'm wondering if there is any fitment issues with putting a different transfer case in, (i.e. spline difference, length -bolt patterns, etc.) I am just putting a plow on the truck now, but I don't ever use AUTO 4wd I think that is for people that don't know how to drive. I would like to put the NP 241 as it is a manual shift, but would be fine with anything that is going to be more reliable and easy to bolt into the truck. My truck btw is a 2000 chevy 2500 4wd, ext cab long box. Any thoughts? Ideas? would like to see what others have done. I searched the threads and didn't find anything of real value.:confused:

2. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

3. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

thanks 496 BB. there was a bunch of useful info there.. I love my chevy and want to be able to push some snow -much better than the fords I had (all were underpowered) I will definitely be putting in a NP 241, just didn't know exactly what driveshaft yoke/splines would be needed to do it. I just hope the t-case holds up 'til spring. its already making noise and leaking a bit... -Maybe some other member have other ideas or opinions:mechanic:???