1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chevy not liking bumps.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bribrius, Jul 18, 2007.

1. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

could anyone give me any ideas on why my truck rides like crap. 2000 1500 silverado. i had timbrens put in the front. there must be more too it than that though. my buddys f250 rides like a cadillac compared to my chevy half ton. ive driven a international box truck that road better. running bf goodrich at for tires. i feel every single crack in the road i think. my coffe cup doesnt even stay in the holder. im sure this may sound like a stupid question but my teeth are chattering on bumps and i think i might chip one.
  2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

they will ride ruff with timbrens because you are riding on them all the time! my boss has a2002 1/2 ton and it dont ride bad,the only thing you might try is some monroe sensa trac shocks. how worn are the tire's?
  3. bribrius

tires at 80%. plenty of tread left.
  4. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Air pressure in tires too high? Are your shocks worn out? Are you running oversized tires?
  5. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Can you take the timbrens back out to see if they are the problem?
  6. bribrius

aire pressure. no. tires, factory size. shocks... not sure. good question...... wouldnt shocks being gone make it right smoother though ?

i keep thinking timbrens too but so many people drive trucks with timbrens and manage to have there coffee cups stay in the holders i keep thinking its something else........ torsion bars???? how would i check torsion bars to see if they are cranked up too much?
  7. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Shocks gone will make it bounce more often on bouncy roads.
    -torsen bars cranked too hard
    -it's riding flat on the timberns
    -too much air pressure

That's about it.
  8. shaltac

shaltac Junior Member

If you're cranked up to high on the T/B the A arms may be hitting the frame, or the shocks may be topping out when the suspension returns to position after a bump. Easiest way to see this is to jack the front up by something other then a suspesion component and see houw much droop is left in the suspension when sitting static.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Put the floor jack on the plow mount when you do that. It works great.
  10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Shocks will some times freeze when there worn out instead of going spongy.

Over inflated tires?

Is the truck sitting on the timbrens?

It's a truck, forget about it ridding like a Cadillac. lol
  11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

How did the truck ride before you installed the Timbren's? I'd start there if they changed the ride alot..
  12. bribrius

monroe sensatrac put in front. ranchos in rear. only drove it a mile to home after. find out in the morning if a made a lot of difference. i didnt notice much difference (but i did notice some) driving that mile but then again it is only a mile. guy who changed the shocks said one on the front was blown. maybe thats it. maybe not. he also said part of it could be the tires (bf goodrich at's) but i think if he drove it he would have come up with a better explanation. he didnt know what timbrens were so i dont have much faith in his knowledge. sense tracs were eighty six dollars a piece. surprised me. isnt like they were the ranchos i put on back.

had the radiator flushed too. read a previous post about the hundred thousand mile antifreeze they come with killing gaskets. figured only has fourty thousand but i would be preemptive on the getting rid of that antifreeze. i dont remember who had the antifreeze thread but thanks. i took advice on that one too. if the new shocks dont work ill be going through these posts and taking more advice. thanks again guys. and in answer to a previous question. it is riding on the timbrens . ifs. dont know any other way it would be able to ride. if thats it im screwed. i take the timbrens out this truck will drop five inches and ill be buying new shocks every year. think ill be moving to the torsion bars if the shocks dont fix it. unless there is a better replacement than timbrens.thanks again.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  13. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I think you will be pleasantly surprised going over you first set of tracks tomorrow. A blown shock would certainly do it, allowing the suspension to compress much quicker before it hits the timbren. I am not sure if this is what you meant but the tech would be able to tell if it was blown without driving it.