1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy MPG

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Marek, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Marek

Marek Senior Member

What kind of mpg are you guys getting with the 6.0 gas and the Duramax motors? I have run Fords for many yrs now and want a new truck again but the 6.0 PSD problems are scaring me.
  2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Marke
    I am on m y second Chevy with the 6.0. Great engine lots of power but she is thirsty. I'm getting about 12 mpg in the city and around 14 mpg on the highway. It could be a little either way have not checked it in about 6 months.

Regards Mike
  3. Marek

Marek Senior Member

thats not bad my 02 PSD gets 13.5 in mixed driving.Does it drop alot when you are towing? Do you have the Allison trans?
  4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

No it goes down around 10 or 11 MPG when towing a 30 ft travel trailer in northern Mi at 75 MPH. I have the reg trans, I think you can only get the allison with a desiel but could be wong on that.

Regards Mike
  5. Allison comes with diese

The allision comes with the diesel OR the 8.1 big block. I don't own a durmax yet, but I ran a buddys while my truck was down. Towing a 20ft car hauler flatbed with my mowers on it, I was getting 15.5 mpg in the duramax. ANd that was a 3500 dually dump too. If you get a 2500hd and chip it you can do quite a bit better... another friend of mine has a 2002 2500 with a superchip and he easily gets 18 on the highway and has gotten over 19. With a trailer and a bobcat or small excavator he gets 14 or 15. (those are HEAVY too). I would recomend a duramax. Here why (i thought this out cause i am going to buy one) The duramax/ allision is a $7,xxx option. But you get that much back out of it when you sell it used. So you get better mileage, more power, and it costs you the same as a gas when its all done. Good luck!
    - jon
  6. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

06 can get Allison with 6.0....

According to buypower and the newst literature, you can add the Allison 6 speed auto to a 6.0 this year...

I cannot remember the price but if you go into GM buypower you will see it there... I'm sure it was at least 2 grand...

Did you put something in the suggestion box at work Mike???? :)

My dealer (and the consumer buypower site) says manual trannies can now be specified with all packages up to and including the LT1/SLE1 (power everything)! Yeeehaw! :)
  7. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

thats what I get in my 3500 dump with a 350 while towing.
  8. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Mine gets about 10 when towing my 20ft enclosed, ist a 01 3/4 ton.

Mike (flykelley), I cant even imagine going 75mph with my 20ft trailer let alone a 30footer. lol. But hey, what ever works :)

Anyway, Mike when are we going to get some snow? Its been almost a month.
  9. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

mine gets 12 unloaded, about 10 towing on the highway
  10. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

My Stock Duramax Reg. Cab gets about 18 MPG.
  11. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Mine 03 2500hd reg cab gets about 4.5 mpg plowing!:jester: Isn't that superb? lol May get around 8-10mpg towing the mowing trailer around town. However, that is stop and go driving with a trailer and 4.10 gears. Never drive it on the highway. THat is where my quadcab 4x4 dually Dodge gets close to 20mpg pulling our camper. No back seat in the Chevy for the kids, and not enough gas stations to keep her filled up on the highway compared to the Cummins. Good luck with your decisions.
  12. Rowski

Rowski Senior Member

My 6.0L gets around 12.5 to 14 MPG. The best I got was 16 MPG but I was transporting an antique hutch that had glass doors on it. It was for my mother in law so I had to be very careful. 100 mile trip with cruise set at 45 mph. Towing (9k lbs to 14k lbs) is under 10 MPG hard to check becasue it is short trips mixed with non towing trips. Plowing is around a 1.5 gallons per hour.

Our '97 F-350 wrecker with 460 with auto gets around 8 MPG not towing. Towing is less dependent on what is being towed usually around 5 MPG. Plowing is 2.5 to 3 gallons per hour:cry:.

The scout likes its gas too. My father (the scout is his baby!) doesn't check it becasue he doesn't much care. But 304 with auto, 7.5' plow, 300 LB ballast I think its around 2.5 gallons per hour.

13. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

These 6.0 trucks have a very touchy throttle. You really have to drive like a granny to get mileage out of them. The initial throttle tip in is what socks it to us.

That and the light spring pressure on the pedal. I could use a stiffer spring and a TRUE linear proportioned throttle input to throttle plate position.
  14. Favatts

Favatts Member
    from CNY

I have the 6.0 in my chevy. The last time I checked I did 3/4 highway and 1/4 city and I got about 10 mpg. Thats not good but better than my ford with the 400 in it. That thing is thristy.
  15. kubotazd21

kubotazd21 Member

The best I have gotten with my Duramax is with the cruise on 75, not hauling or towing anything is 19.2mpg. I do have the hypertech chip and a cold air kit in mine. Not to bad considering 390 hp and 670 foot pounds of torque...
  16. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

What do you have for a camper ? I don't know anything that gets 20MPG pulling