1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy Mini Rehab

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Moose's Mowing, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing Senior Member
    from SE PA

Well, earlier this year I was under the Chevy doing some odds and ends and inspecting for broken stuff. Saw I needed new brake lines, along with some other odds and ends. I finally had time to tear it apart yesterday and start. I ordered a brake line kit in SS from classic tube. Well worth the $$. Got the new lines on yesterday and started tackling the bleeders. They're all shot. got one out easy, the rest are soaking at the moment. I'll hopefully get the rest out this afternoon after work.

Decided it'd be easier to take the bed off to run the rear line. Very good decision. I'm going to wire brush the frame and hit it with some of that rubberized "undercoating" junk from the auto store. Frames not too bad, just has a lot of scale on it. No major rust on any spring hangers or anything. I'm planning to pull the roof beacon wiring out of the headliner for my strobe, do all the fluids, grease everything, replace a few front end suspension bushings, try to finally fix my gauge cluster, new shocks all the way around, new brakes & rotors and anything else I can find. My buddy at the local exhaust shop is gonna run me all stainless pipe as well. the old stuff literally fell apart. The amount of rust is insane. This was my personal truck since 2006. Only started plowing last year and don't salt with it. I have a little car for my daily driver so this Chevy is just a work truck now. Sees maybe 8000 miles/year tops. But that crap PA uses to spray the roads is terrible. My neighbor owns a truck rebuilding business, he fixes wrecked semi trucks and big stuff like that. He was telling me they fix a ton of rigs that are 3-4 years old with rotted spring hangers, cross members and other stuff. Said they're literally just crumbling apart. The state outa be ashamed for using that crap. Maybe they can reimburse me for some of this project.

Got any suggestions on what else to check/fix/replace? It's a good solid truck and I work it hard. Surprised it's held up as well as it has. It's just due for some minor repairs and a mini facelift. Here's a few pics, sorry for the quality.

Chevy Rehab 2.jpg

Chevy Rehab.jpg

Chevy Rehab 3.jpg

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Instead of using the rubberized undercoating on the frame go get yourself a quart of POR 15.

3. road2damascus

road2damascus PlowSite.com Addict

and you could go to eastwood.com

they got lots of restoration products. do it right and spend a little doe on quality products and not will have less to do in the future

4. Squires

Squires Senior Member

As mentioned, rust paint, not rubber undercoat, that will look nice and make matters worse on the rust front

5. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Some may call this a complete restoration ;)

6. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of paint then what about paint and then the under coating

7. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing Senior Member
    from SE PA

she's all done cept for the exhaust and inspection. I wire wheeled the whole frame, took forever. Got about 95% of the rust off then hit it with some kind frame/rust paint I found online. Forget the name. Looked nice when done. I used the rubber stuff on the underside of the bed & body panels that weren't rusty yet. Hopefully it'll hold up. I'm just happy I got the new brake lines on as easy as I did.