1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chevy max tire size

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ABES, Jun 13, 2007.

1. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

will i be able to fit a 285 75 16 tire on my stock chevy the 245s just arent big enough for me

1999 K2500 classic body style

thanks

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  2. snowsniper1

snowsniper1 Senior Member

you can run 285s but if you bounce around a lot you will hit the iner fender,and if you turn all the way you will hit your wheel well 265s look a lot better than 245s

3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

will the rubbing be worse if i decide to put a plow on the front end???

4. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

I run 285's with my plow on. Turn the tbars up some and add some timbrens to the front. You should be good to go.

5. payton

payton Senior Member

my gmc has 285s with no issues.and the bars were not cranked all the way. ran it like this with the plow on it never rubbed a bit.

6. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

my truck is a classic body style does it have less tire clearance than a newer body stlye. and i dont know if the torsion bars have been cranked already as i just bought this truck is there a way to tell if they have been cranked and how many cranks and which direction do you crank them. i have heard that this causes front end parts to not last what do you guys think
    thanks a ton

7. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

anybody???

8. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I have 265's without issue. I have heard that 285s should work but might be a little wide for the rims.

9. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

I'm not sure on the old body style.I have seen 285s on them but not with a plow.I imagine that if you crank the tbars and add timbrens with the plow on, you should be good.

10. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

thanks i just cranked the t bars today it makes such a difference in the stance of the truck i think i got about 1" lift with 4 turns... anyways i think i am going to order 285s on different rims and then keep the 245s on the rims i have now and run those in the winter.
    thanks guys

11. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I asked about this on lawnsite, and was told that they will rub. I think you should go witht he 265's....i just put new cooper discoverer M+S 265/75/16s on my truck and they look bitchin'....ide highly recomend that for your truck too, being that its very similar to mine!

12. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

thanks for the info guys but does anybody have a CBS chevy with 285's i really want the biggest tire i can get because all my friends are running around with 35" and i am sick of getting ***** for my small tires. also will my rims work with a 285/75/16 tire there are the newer rims like the ones that come on the newer chevy HD s

13. salopez

salopez Senior Member

you can do one of 2 things....

1 Grow up and quit worrying about what your friends think about you....

2. spend the cheese throw on a 4-10 lift and put any tire rim combo you want.

Done

14. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

1 i dont think i will be growing up anytime soon
    2 i wish i had the money for a 4 inch lift but i wont for at least a year but thanks anyways

15. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Have you givin any thought on a 3 inch body lift? Its common in my area for the 88-98 body styles that have body lifts, they dont look bad even though I am not a fan of them my self.

16. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I agree, i was thinking about doing that on my truck but decided against it since i plan on getting a new(er) truck for myself within the next year and my current truck will be a crew truck........just make sure you do the increased tire size right away or it'll look goofy with the lil tire with the lift on there.

17. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

18. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

now im thinking about doing the 285s on my stock rims (newer style Hd rims) do you think these will look good with 3" of lift. also are these tires to wide for the stock rims thanks

19. kuryssnow5

kuryssnow5 Member

i had 265 on my truck just put 285 on and turned t-bars up and everything is good

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can run 285's on the stock HD wheels (the HD wheels are 6 1/2 in. wide).Guys do it all the time..and they look great on the OBS trucks like yours. I wouldn't recommend the tire/wheel package you showed in the ebay link on your truck anyway. 305's on 10 inch wide wheels would give you clearance trouble on the front...even with a 3" body lift.