1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chevy lineup

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by lawnandplow42, Apr 28, 2005.

1. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 Senior Member

Will someone please clarify the chevy lineup's capacities.
    A 2500 is a 3/4 ton, and a 2500 HD is a 1 ton rite?

2. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Well right now there is no plain 2500. There is a 1500, 1500HD,2500HD and 3500. The 1500 is your everyday 1/2ton the 1500HD is actually a 3/4ton. It has the GVWR of 8600, which is what the 3/4ton from88-99 had. The 2500HD has a GVWR of 9200, which the 1 ton single rear wheel from the 88-99s had. The new 3500 with SRW has a GVWR of 9900. Confusing, yes.

William

3. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

so your saying the2500HDis a 1 ton truck? :nod:

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

basically, yes. The GVWR minus the weight of the truck equals more then 3/4 ton (actually it's 2Klbs give or take) which makes it 1 ton.

My Ram is a 2500 with 8800GVWR which makes it a 1 ton as well. Dodge didn't offer a 3500 SRW model so they offered a beefy 2500, which incidently was never designated as a HD model :(

5. Chevy05

Chevy05 Member

So does that mean that you can buy a 1500HD and use it as a 2500??? Very Confusing :cry:

6. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

CTFAN had it right - the 1500HD is an 8600# GVW truck. It shares components from both the half ton and the three quarter ton truck. It's NOT a one ton truck. There's more to a truck than it's GVW rating. Regardless of what people say here the difference between models, whether 1500, 1500HD, 2500, 2500HD or 3500 is more than just stronger springs or 8 lug wheels. Nearly all the time the heavier GVW trucks all have different frame sizes (stronger) as well as stronger components such as axles, transfer cases and upgraded springs and components.

Much of the model designation has to do with emissions laws. Half ton trucks are basically cars to the Fed where a "heavy duty" truck such as the 2500HD on up (8600# and over GVW) is light duty truck emissions. It seems that GM has dropped the light duty 2500 truck model.

GM (Chevy and GM) as well as both Ford and Dodge do provide the dealers with a bound book which contains the specifications for the trucks. Here it tells everything from frame differences to axle and brake size differences as well as component types such as what brand transfer case, rear or transmission.

So NO, the 1500HD is NOT a 1 ton truck. It has some of the components but not ALL of them. And yes, between the mfrs muddying the line between models and the Fed and their emissions laws it is complicated!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  7. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Yes. The only thing about the 1500HD's is that they only come in a crew cab, short bed combo.

William

8. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

so with that said what the f is the 2500HD a 3/4 or 1 ton i thought it was 3/4 ton :confused: :confused: :eek:

9. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Depends. If you go off of the old body style then it is a 1 ton. If you go off of the current body style then it is a 3/4ton. It is a confussing setup. More than likely it will do what ever you want it to plow,haul, tow. If you your not sure that is enough, then go for the 1ton. The only downfall is that you can only the the 1ton srw in Regular cab/ long bed, Ext Cab/long bed or Crew cab/ long bed. I have heard that GM doesn't plan on doing a 1ton srw in the Ext cab/short bed, which I think is stupid. They are shooting themselves in the foot. But that is another rant.

William

10. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Member

The 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, and 1 ton labels are carryovers from decades ago and pretty meaninless as far as truck capacity is concerned. What matters is GVW and truck empty weight - the difference in the two is the net payload, which includes passengers as well as cargo. Even that's a simplification, since you also have to worry about axle loading in addition to toal loading.

Even federal emissions are keyed to GVW, not nomenclature. 8,600 lbs seems to be the cutoff (or at least it used to be). Some state registrations also use weight-based limits. Here in Virginia for example, anything over 8,600 lbs (like my K3500) gets a more expensive commercial registration whether it's privately owned or not.

11. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

i have a 05 2500 hd short bed and i would say its a 3/4 ton truck :gunsfiring:

12. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

What he said.

I have a 2500HD and if I were to call it something like the terms of years ago I would call it a 1 ton.