1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy K1500 suspension upgrade

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Boondox, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

My 02 regular cab longbed Chevy (5.3L w/ auto and plow prep) needs new shocks, and since I use it to haul firewood, loads of hay, sheep etc I would like to get something heavier duty than the stock car-like suspension. Rancho, Bilstein, Edelbrock, Monroe...they all claim to have the best. Can anyone separate fact from marketing fiction and recommend a decent work shock?

TIA, Pete
  2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Bilstein is the best from what I've heard. I've got stock shocks with overloads and mine has never had any problems.....so far. :drinkup:
  3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

bilsten makes a good shock.
  4. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

Monroe Reflex shocks or KYB MonoMax. Both seriously discounted this week. Any experience with either shock, good or bad?

5. dzd9fy

dzd9fy Junior Member

Keep in mind that shocks are designed to dampen a ride, not to increase the GVWR. To increase the GVWR, you will need to increase the spring rates or add assists. Good Luck!
  6. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

My first question is why do you think it needs new shocks???

As dzd9fy stated shocks do not increase load capacity. If your shocks are toast as a result of overloading, your rear springs are probably toast also.
    Instead of adding a leaf or overloads to you present springs, have a spring shop build a new set with a heavier rate. In this area it costs about 200.00 installed....