1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy instrument cluster

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by LapeerLandscape, Dec 12, 2014.

1. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

So the other day I was driving and my gauges went wacky and came back on. Later that night I get in to go home and I have no gauges, I get almost home (about 3 miles) and they come up. Same thing next morning on the way to work. This goes on a couple days with no cluster at all and on the 3rd or 4th day my truck quit while idling. My alternator quit and the battery went dead, no gauges to tell. I had ordered a new cluster and before it came in I put on the new alternator, now my old cluster works. Anybody else have anything like this. A very good mechanic friend said they should not be related.

2. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

What year the are notorious for cluster problems i have an 03 cluster had to be rebuilt 2 times

3. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I know its kinda common. Its on 03, we have already replaced one in the 04. It hasnt skipped a beat since the new alternator.

4. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

Sounds like it's unrelated to the typical cluster issue. Normally with a faulty cluster the gauges fail one by one and don't go back to normal. I had the cluster rebuilt in my wife's 03 Tahoe and so far so good. On hers we lost the fuel gauge then a year later the speedometer quit. I could deal with the fuel gauge not working but the speedometer was another story so we rebuilt it.