1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chevy hitch

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ABES, Jun 10, 2007.

1. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

i just bought a new (to me) 1999 chevy K2500HD c.b.s. the problem is whoever traded the truck in took the trailer hitch off it before they traded it in. i was looking at new ones and i am a little confused on what class i need. does anybody know how much a class 3 or 4 is rated for??? thanks in advance for all the replies.

2. 4prrdu

4prrdu Junior Member

hitch classes

Look at www.reesetowpower.com in the information section. There is a chart that give all the weight capacity information for the different class hitches.

3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

so it looks like the class 4 is the better choice...what do all you guys have on your trucks???

4. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

anybody???

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Class 3 500/5000 WC 1000/10000 WD some are 600/6000 WC 1200/12000 WD
    Class 4 750/7500 WC 1200/12000 WD
    Class 5 1000/12000 WC 1700/14000 WD

They all differ slightly and all carry the "not to exceed manufacturers suggest maximum weight rating"

Chevy had some problems with the factory hitch when it first came out, modified it the first year. Reese, Drawtite, Hidden Hitch, Sure-pull they're all the same. Made by Cequent with different stickers, sorta the DD of the hitch industry. They all have hitches that don't attach to the bumper. Curt is making the factory hitch.

The new Chevy 08 3500s have a 2 1/2 inch receiver tube.

6. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

i think a class 4 will work out perfect for me thanks for the help i appreciate it.

7. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

hello. I just was on the reese site and i found a hitch selector. They are showing,(for your truck) a class 2 up to even a 5 which is rated up to 12-14000 lbs. You might not need that much but check it out on their site.

8. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

i picked up a brand new class 5 for $60 on craigslist my question now is how many bolts is there supposed to be to hold this on. on the hitch there is 4 1/2" bolts and then like 4 more 1" round holes

thanks

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

who makes the hitch? what is the model number?

10. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

figured it out there was 3 bolts on each side so a total of 6.