1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy HD Diesel

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JPMAKO, Oct 3, 2005.

JPMAKO Senior Member

I have recently purchased a 2003 Chevy Silverado HD Duramax/Allison.
    It is an extended cab short bed and I am wondering what would be a good plow. I have only looked at Western and Fisher because of dealer support.
    I went over the weekend to get prices and the salesman says he can not put the following plows on my truck without me signing a waiver.

Western 8' pro plus
    any Fisher over 7'2"

What is the deal with that, I thought I purchased a HD truck I did not think that I would run into these problems when purchasing a plow.

Here is what I am thinking about
    I would really like to get a Fisher. Either 8' Straight Blade or 8'6" EZ-V
    Can the truck handle the weight????
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

i have run into this problem as well and from what i understand the reason is because its an extended cab. weather or not is't an hd. some manufacturers dont like puting certain plows on vehicles because of the weight,you havt remember the diesel is heavyer lowering the carrying limit on the front end.yes even on an HD the front axle weight limit is the same(i belive) then the normal one's. that and it may void the vehicle warranty by doing so thats what the weiver is for.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2005
  3. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

I have heard of the problem on the crew cabs but not on the extended cab. The Western Dealer I talked to recommended an 8ft Pro for my truck. Now, I don't have the diesel, I have the 6.0 but I have seen alot of guys with the same setup running 8ft or bigger plows with no problems what so ever. If you hang the V or the 8ft you will be fine. I would suggest addjusting the Torsion bars, adding some Timbrens and makin sure you have plenty of ballast behind the rear wheels.

4. BowTieDmax

BowTieDmax Senior Member

I ran a 8' fisher HD for a few years and all was fine. I have a buddy that had a 8' fisher also and he put a 9' x-blade on last year. He does a ton of commericial plowing and had no problems. My cousin had a 2003 ext cab duramax and plowed commericial for 2 years with a 8' Diamond. We all cranked a torsion bars about 5 turns and they ran timbrens. My cousin and I both bought blizzard 810's this year and we are going to get GMs biggest torsion bars and see how they work. We both have 7,884 ( some thing like that) and we will jump up to 9,400 lb bars. But eaither way ballast is the biggest help you can do for it. We will be selling are bars after the swap. They should be great for a truck with a gas motor and a heavy plow. If you call your dealer with your Vin # they can tell you what your bars are stock
  5. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

The reason why they say that they can't do it is for liablility reasons. For one when they figure the GVWR, they have to cover their a$$ and figure the cab will have every seat filled. There are quite a few guys on here running heavy plows, v and blizzards with a duramax. I even ran a 8 foot pro with my cummins and the only thing they could recommend was a standard 7'6" plow.